Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis Spacing

Posted by mnwsgal 4 Henn MN (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 13:54

I know that many of you plant several clematis per trellis.
How does this affect growth? Some of mine have just one per trellis and the trellis is completely covered. Since I am getting more plants this spring I am wondering if I can still add another one or two to those trellises?

Duchess of Albany, July 2008
Clematis 'Duchess of Albany'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis Spacing

You asked the wrong question of me when you asked about spacing since I cram them as close as 12 inches or so on some of my trellises. As to whether it affects the eventual size of the plant I would guess that it probably does somewhat just due to the competition for nutrients and water. However this can be compensated for by making sure you supply the plants adequate moisture and nutrients. Since I don't have the same two clematis where one is planted by itself versus co-planted with another clematis, I can't say for sure. Just realize that if you planted another clematis with a nicely established one like in your picture (looks like Duchess of Albany), then the newly planted one will be at a distinct disadvantage since the existing one is so well established. That is why I tend to cram them together so they all have a fighting chance since they are relatively the same size.

o

I would be hesitant to add up another clem to already existing mature one like that. Bound to be a problem. At same time I am the one that cram everything together so I have no problems placing two of them within short distance from each other. The only thing I try to make sure they are the same pruning group.

o

LOL, I sometimes plant 3 on a standard trellis. What are they, 24-30 inches?

I would keep the texensis cut back while the new one(s) was becoming established.

I definitely plant too close, but I do follow a few rules. 1) They have to have the same pruning code. 2) They have to bloom at the same time. 3) One can't be more aggressive or a lot larger than the other. 4) Colors cant clash.

Then just add plenty of compost and bone meal and keep watered. Voila!

Too many clematis and too few places to put them....

Mickie

o

I have yet to see any clematis where the flowers would clash. Mother Nature doesn't discriminate with colors and neither do I! LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here