Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

ID question

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

This clematis is growing on an arch along with the rose 'Sombreuil'. I planted it at least 15 years ago. I have no idea who it is. I thought I saw it in several catalouges over the years, and ordered "it", only to get a series of other purple clematis which are NOT it. I love the size of the blooms, and the dark royal purple color.

Any suggestions from this picture? Would pictures of other parts of the plant, or close-ups, make it possible to identify? If so, please let me know just what is needed, and I will see if I can find more pictures of it.

I am very ignorant about clematis, obviously. I almost killed this one. It was all tangled up with the rose, which is a killer rose to prune, and they had gotten so heavy that they were pulling over the arch they were growing on. So, about 4-5 weeks ago I cut down the clematis to two feet high (just a bare vine), and my DH attacked the rose. The rose, of course, is leafing out and setting buds. The clematis remnant just sat there. I have no idea if it is a I, or a II, or a III, and I have always found those numbers and rules so confusing I ignore them always. Anyway, this morning to my joy I saw some new green clematis leaves popping out of the dirt about 4 inches away from the old trunk - YAY! my gorgeous mystery clematis is alive!

Now I would like to know who it is - any thoughts or suggestions about other pictures to get?

Thanks very much for your help with this - sorry I am so ignorant.

Jackie

Comments (2)