Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis in coastal central Fla. ??

Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 2, 10 at 14:29

Does anyone grow Clematis here in Pinellas Co., St Petersburg, Tampa Bay area ? I never see any and never in any of the local Nurseries, and hesitate to mail-order if they don't grow here since they are pricey.... appreciate any advice , Thanks, sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis in coastal central Fla. ??

Sally, they do grow in warmer climates and can do very well - they are pretty common in coastal SoCal, which shares similar zones. However, your high summer humidity may be a limiting factor. I'll let some of the regulars that live closer to you and may also deal with similar conditions recommend specific choices.

Two I might consider would be Clematis paniculata (the true species, not the misnamed sweet autumn clematis), a new Zealand species or C. x cartmanii, an evergreen hybrid of C. paniculata and C. marmoraria, another NZ species.

o

Why not any of the viticellas and perhaps even clematis texensis the species (native to hot and humid Texas).

Other points to consider are to plant the clematis in amended soil (you may have to continuously add organic material and mulch since sandy soils tend to chew up organic matter pretty fast), keep them consistently moist but not sitting in water, and plant where they will get morning sun and afternoon shade.

o

I grew jackmanii and one other I forget the name of in pots in Naples, FL (zone 10b) year round. When I got tired of them blooming or if they stopped or slowed down, I'd hack them to the ground and they'd start all over again! It's probably because I didn't know what I was doing, but they bloomed year round....

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 6, 10 at 10:37

BRUSHWOOD Nursery has Clematis listed for Z 11, has anyone taken a look and does any of it look familiar ? for here in Pinellas ? I may call them and see what they say, seems a stretch for this micr-climate we have here, we are so humid.. and they are not cheap.... I was really hoping someone from here in Pinellas would be able to chime-in with their experience.... I know roses are sensitive here and some do thrive and some are just dogs, Thanks folks, sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here