Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
choosing a cultivar in 6b

Posted by rootygirl TN 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 14:36

Hi Clematis lovers,
I am new to GardenWeb. I have grown a couple of clematis in the past: Niobe and Nelly Moser. The Niobe dries out and goes dormant in the 6b heat, unless I maybe move it to a spot with little sunlight.
I have a small garden and I am wanting to plant a clematis against a trellis on a brick wall. The site gets some morning sun, but mostly shade. It probably gets hot on the brick.
Can you recommend a clematis to plant there? If a clematis is a bad choice, I will think of another idea! We have hot summers.
Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: choosing a cultivar in 6b

I doubt that heat is the issue - most LFH clematis (type II and III) are good in AHS heat zones 1-9, which is quite a bit hotter than you are likely to see in Tennessee. And folks grow them in places like Texas and Arizona as well. I would be more concerned about how much water the vines might receive and how deeply they are planted. If they are planted deeply (4-6" above the soil level of most potted clems) and the soil kept evenly moist, they should not be drying out, especially if planted where they receive afternoon shade.

You might want to focus on the viticellas or some of the American species clematis. Drying out in the heat of summer appears to be less of a concern with these.

o
RE: choosing a cultivar in 6b

Thank you, gardengal. I did not know about planting them deeply.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here