Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princess_mimi

Help! I need live Clemmies for a play!

princess_mimi
15 years ago

Here's your strange question for the day!

I am a gardener and am growing several varieties of Clematis in my own garden. Here's where it gets weird. I am also in a play, "The Chalk Garden". It is set in an English country house on the cliffs of Dover. Through the window of the set we will see a trellis with clematis climbing on it. At the beginning of the play it is bedraggled and sad looking. Later if becomes healthier and lovely. After putting silk leaves onto real branches for our last show I'm hoping to grow a lovely clemmie in a pot indoors (We're in Zone 5) that can peek up over the set window. It will replace a sickly one with a trellis that is exactly the same from the start of the show. Thus, the illusion that it has grown and gotten healthier with the passage of time. The plant would need to get large enough to be seen from the audience, about 4' tall by 18" wide. It can be put on a caster stand to roll it.

Do you all think that this is possible? I can make a sick looking plant from the vines on the top of my compost pile. it's the healthy one I'm not sure about. Will a clem do well in doors? I have a 3 season room that gets warm during the day (today 30 degrees outside, 58 degrees inside.) and I can roll it in for the nights. Our show opens in six weeks. Would it be too much of a shock to dig up on of my plants and bring it in? Would it be possible to grow a plant from a green house large enough in 6 weeks? Would it be viable in the garden after being abused like this? Would I just be better off making up fake plants?

I'd appreciate any opinions/ help you may have for me.

Thanks!

~~Mimi

Comments (5)