Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Brushwood - Your feedback?

Julia WV (6b)
13 years ago

I've seen several people recommend this online nursery but would like to know how long your clematis took to reach their full height given the size they ship? Since I'm considering clematis that will reach heights of over 9 feet to climb on the pergola, I'd like to keep my expectations in check. I plan to plant in May, in the ground.

Thanks

Julia

Comments (7)

• bob414
    13 years ago

The rule of thumb for clematis, no matter where you get them, is first year sleep, second year creep and third year leap. You get some growth the first year but it's best to pinch the tips of the vines back to encourage root development and get a bushier plant.
    You can get larger plants elsewhere but I've been happy with the ones I got from Brushwood and the shipping is reasonable partly because they are not as large as some.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    13 years ago

The clematis that I have received from Brushwood have come in one quart pots that are very well filled with roots. For me, these have always taken off pretty fast. Even so, I expect to get more vines and therefore more blooms after a year or two in the ground. I have found that the photos Brushwood shows on their website are very accurate in what you can expect to receive from them.

Here is a link that might be useful: size of plants from Brushwood

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both for the feedback.

Julia

• pmermakov
    13 years ago

Hi, I just place an order with Brushwood Nursery today, after having ordered from them last year. Last fall, I was very pleased with how healthy the vines and root system looked on the clematis from them. I think you will be well pleased if you order from them.

I ordered the following clematis from them today:

Abundance
    Ashva
    Cicciolina
    Gravetye Beauty
    Forever Friends
    Happy Birthday
    Luther Burbank
    Madame Le Coultre
    Romantika
    Royal Velours
    Veronica's Choice

Needless to say, I'm very anxious for spring!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, nice selection. I appreciate your vote of confidence in Brushwood.

The ones I want are Huldine, Madame Julia Correvon and Perle d'Azur to start. They appear to be tall ones so hopefully they will in the future get to their full height potential.

Looking for a couple of shorter ones too like MultiBlue.

I saw the pic posted here on the forum of Nelly Moser so I'm debating on that one as it looks to grow pretty tall.

It is snowing here again today so spring is still pretty far off for us.

Julia

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

I got some in the fall of 2009 from them and as plantloverkat noted, the photos on the website look about right and the pots were well-filled with roots. Despite last year not being an ideal growing season and I was gone for work much of the summer, they grew quite well last season and were healthy, though not their full size, as expected. I would definitely buy from them again, have placed an order for this spring.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the feedback nhbabs. I've almost completed my list but still swaying back and forth on a few. Just too many to choose from : - ).

Julia

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?