Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Clematis newbie seeks selection advice

zaphod42
13 years ago

Hello, everyone. Two year ago I planted two clematis on the corner of my front porch post. They were Romantika and Red Cardinal and I'm not sure which was where. One had big fuchsia flowers and the other had smaller purple flowers. The bigger fuchsia flowered one seemed to do well with our early, warm spring last year and then just tanked. It turned dry and crunchy even though I was watering (maybe not quite enough, I guess). The other one seemed to do okay last summer. Anyway, I have a two part question -

First, I want to try another clematis in that spot. Most of my gardening obsession is focused on roses, so I'm not quite sure how to go about choosing a good variety. I chose the last two with the toddler part of my brain--Ooooh pretty. I want. Gimmee, gimmee. :) I'd like to choose this next one with a bit more research.

Second, I'd like to throw an annual climber in there to make up for the fact the trellis will be pretty empty this year. I was looking at Cardinal Climber, Starry Night Sweet Pea, Black-Eyed Susan Vine, and a Scarlet Runner Bean. Any suggestions either way? I'd like something that doesn't overwhelm a new growing clematis or something that will reseed itself and come back next year.

All suggestions and information greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (3)

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry! Forgot to post my zone. I'm in SE WI. Technically, I'm 5b.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Did you pull them out?

It is normal for Clematis to take three years to get to their full growth. It is also normal for some to fungus or brown out in summer.

They also die back in winter and should be sprouting anew right now....

They are both in the recommended Group III

• zaphod42
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't pull it out on the off chance it may come back. Its still a bit early here for any signs of life so there is still hope. It did crash and burn early in the season though (by end of June or so). That's what really had me concerned was how quickly and how soon it went down.