Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhnash

Too late for hard pruning?

bhnash
15 years ago

I have a three year old clematis on a trellis which I have left alone, no pruning. It has leafed out already, with new stems over a foot long, but the are all at the top of two 6' bare stems. Clematis are finiky around here, so I have been hesitant to prune it for fear of losing it all together. I have been thinking of pruning just one of the pair of long stems down to 2' and hope that it leafs out again, and if not I'll still have the other long stem with new growth at the top. Does that sound alright?

Comments (11)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Sounds like a good conservative plan to me. When you say they are finicky in your area, what exactly did you mean by that? I know quite a few people who grow clematis in southern California and they don't seem to have issues with them being finicky. Do you know the variety of clematis you are growing or pruning type? I would imagine if the type IIs don't like the heat and humidity of my zone 7a garden in NC that they might not like the heat of a California zone 9. The type IIIs do great here.

• bhnash
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am on the central California coast, so it doesn't get too hot in the Summer, we usually have fewer than 15 days above 90, most days range from 70-85. The problem is the heavy clay soil and very dry weather (we get no rain from late May - late October). I do water them, but by late summer most plants are suffering. I tend to plant much tougher plants, but love clematis sooo much I keep trying. I think I originally had 8+ Clems (bough bare root), now I'm down to three. Nelly Moser, Jackmanii and the one on the trellis, I think it is "Fireworks" but it might be "The President".

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Lack of rain can be a problem, especially during the main growing season. Clay not so much of a problem as that is what I garden in. Continued application of an organic mulch that will break down and add tilth to the soil will help in the long run.

The past two years we have had drought conditions during the heat of the summer and for me the type IIIs handle those conditions better than the more delicate type IIs. I do have to water though. If you purchased the plants bareroot, it might be better to pot them up for a season and plant them in the garden during the fall or winter, depending on when you tend to have the most rain. This will allow the plants to get established during more hospitable conditions and not have to try and get established during the hotter and drier months.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Bare root Clematis aren't the best way to buy them so that might have been part of your problem.

• bhnash
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Bare root Clematis aren't the best way to buy them so that might have been part of your problem."

Yeah, and getting them bare root in boxes from Costco was likely doomed from the start LOL. The only ones I ever see around here potted up are usually $20-$40 each. Gorgeous, but pricey.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Home Depot and Lowe's usually have them for a lot less than that. Sometimes Wal*Mart does too. There is always Silver Star Vinery online, she ships big well rooted plants.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Joy Creek is also in your neck of the woods for mail order and Donahues is not too far away. Donahues clematis will be small but you can pot them up to grow out. Dan Long at Brushwood Nursery also sells nice plants. I would only buy bareroot plants if the plants I wanted were not available any other way.

• linda_in_mn
    15 years ago

The main Donahue's Clematis is here in Minnesota, Faribault to be exact. You can great deal there and if you don't see a clematis you are looking for, they will look in there clematis nursery. Plus, their retail store closes the middle of June but the few weeks before they close they mark the clematis 1/2 off!!! We have picked up great deals...

Here is a link that might be useful: Donahue's Clematis

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

They can take clay, it's lack of water that's fatal.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Yea, my soil is clay here. I've been amending with compost for fifteen years but it is still clay.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I am surprised your soil is showing no better composition after 15 years of adding compost BorS. Maybe it is how much you are adding. My soil was all clay 10 years ago when I first moved here but continuous addition of any organic mulch (hardwood mulch, grass clippings, leaves, compost, and anything else I can get my hands on) have allowed me to begin developing a topsoil layer to my soil. That is the way that mother nature lays down organic matter to generate topsoil. I personally don't like tilling the stuff in but rather just let the earthworms do it. Now if you dig down far enough you will hit clay, but even its tilth and structure has improved by the addition of the organic matter and the action of the earthworms.