Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

So I should pot them up now?

jamie_mt
15 years ago

Greetings, all.

I'm just getting started with clematis this year, and in the interest of not spending *too* much $$ right off, hubby and I picked up some bags of roots at Costco the other day (more than we should have, honestly). I had planned to just stick them right in the ground this weekend (much like I did with our roses last year) and let them come up with everything else, but from what I've read here, that's not such a great idea.

So from what I've read, it's better to pot them up first, let them get growing, and then put them out into the garden later. I can do that, but I have a few questions if anyone can help...

1. What size pot should I use? I have some large cottage cheese containers (costco size) that I've been saving to start dahlia tubers in...will those work? Half milk cartons? Something bigger?

2. There's no room for them in the garage, but I have a greenhouse they can get started in, though that will be more light. I can put them on the bottom shelves, to shade them a bit, but what nighttime temps should I keep them at? I'll be setting the greenhouse for around 55 degrees at night in a couple weeks for seedlings, but until then I can set it lower if that would be better...

Any suggestions/comments would be most welcome. I know these will take several years to really get going, but from what I've seen around town, the effort will be more than worth it. :-)

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus