Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theshihive

Help! The clematis that took over the garden!

theshihive
12 years ago

Hi there! This is my first post here and I'm looking for some expert help. I have traditionally had a great skill at killing plants, most everything I plant dies. Imagine my surprise when I planted a clematis and it grew so big over last summer that it pulled the little trellis I had over! I was so amazed at my gardening skill (just a joke....) that I let it stay huge, for fear of killing it when I pruned it. However, I really do have to do something about it. I bought a much larger trellis and would love to guide it onto it. The crux of my problem is this: the flower monster (my husband's nickname for it) is already budding. How do I transfer it over? When's the best time prune it?

I already checked the forum and it said cut it back each year (oops!). How far back do I prune it? I am a novice at this, clearly, and need all the assistance you can give me.

Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Do you have a name for it other than 'the flower monster'? :-)) Need to know more specifically what kind of clematis so as to provide meaningful advice - some varieties do get remarkably large and pruning times and degrees can vary widely depending on type.

• theshihive
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry! I don't really remember the name of it. I think it's called snowfall or snowdrift. Pretty big white flowers.

I'll look for a picture and post it if I can!

• theshihive
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I couldn't find a picture of mine. But I did see that it's not snowdrift or snow queen. :) I think it might be John Huxtable. Large white flowers with yellow stamen.

• bob414
    12 years ago

sounds like it may be this one. If it is, a Montana can get pretty big and never needs pruning way back like others. They can grow to be 30 - 40 feet long. I had one in the back of my garden that grew 20 feet along the fence then started up the tree and grew to the top, another 15 - 20 feet. Unfortunately, they tend to be short lived. I've had 2 and each of them lasted about 10 years. Other types have lasted much longer and are still growing strong.

• bob414
    12 years ago

sounds like it may be this one. If it is, a Montana can get pretty big and never needs pruning way back like others. They can grow to be 30 - 40 feet long. I had one in the back of my garden that grew 20 feet along the fence then started up the tree and grew to the top, another 15 - 20 feet. Unfortunately, they tend to be short lived. I've had 2 and each of them lasted about 10 years. Other types have lasted much longer and are still growing strong.

• bob414
    12 years ago

Don't know how I posted twice but I'll post again. I was thinking about how big you said the vine was instead of the large white flowers. Montana's have smaller flowers so it isn't a Montana. If it is John Huxtable it's a type 2 and you can prune it back as far as you need to to install your trellis and get the vines started up the trellis. May delay the bloom a while but it will bloom. It won't damage the vine.

• pmermakov
    12 years ago

Maybe it is Henryi or Huldine? Take a picture and post it here. Even when not in bloom, the foliage can give a clue on the class it might come from (Montana, viticella, etc.). Does it bloom early, mid or late season?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting