Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Trellis netting for SAC???

kimcoco
14 years ago

We are thinking of hanging trellis netting, like Ross brand trellis netting, or Burpee trellis netting from our airing porch down to ground level, to support a Sweet Autumn Clematis and morning glories (for this year maybe, until the SAC matures), this will provide us with some shade at our full glass back door, first floor. We were going to use green coated wire trellis, which would work much better, but for reasons related to municipal codes, I question if this is feasible. We were also going to carve out a larger viewing hole, dead center in front of our glass door, as a view to our back yard, hopefully the vines will fill in the rest of the trellis.

Wondering if anyone has used trellis netting, and will it be strong enough to support a S.A.C.? I'm not sure if Ross brand is made of nylon, but Burpee brand is, and typically used to support garden vines such as grape vines??? Can anyone recommend a particular brand? I'd prefer green wire, Burpee looks like it might be white.

Comments (11)

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

If you are talking about vinyl netting, I think that the main issue with it will be that it will be a pain in the butt to removed the old stems of the clematis from it when you have to prune it back in the winter/early spring. Unless it is more rigid than the vinyl netting I have seen, it might also be susceptible to photodegradation over time and fall to pieces.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't know if the Ross brand is vinyl, but I would purchase nylon. I found one brand that says it can hold up to 60 pounds of weight. It's fairly inexpensive for a roll up to 30 feet, so I wouldn't mind replacing it annually if needed, as I'll only need maybe 8 feet by 6 feet. It's supposed to have UV inhibitors as well. The only thing is, it's white. I'd prefer green, but the morning glories if not the SAC will cover it in no time. My biggest concern is whether it will be strong enough, I'll have to manage with the removal of the old stems at pruning time.

• bev2009
    14 years ago

I too am planning on using trellis netting up each of the dividers between the screens around my screened porch. That will be 4-5 clematis. I'm trying to figure out which to plant. I would love to plant a different kind of each one, but I am wondering if it would look better to put all the same kind. I hadn't thought about pruning and trying to pull the dead vines out of the netting. I don't know enough yet about clematis, but are there some that don't need pruning? What do you think would look better. I put orange canna and I have rudbeckia and a chartreuse short grass around the area. So I am thinking something purple.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I personally love the look of different colors together, and I'd go with 5 different clematis. I have mostly type 3's, a lot of viticellas, and some type 2's. Type 2's should still be pruned back for the first two growing seasons to promote root development.

I currently have them growing on my fenceline on green wire, it's not too difficult to remove and prune them this time of year, because the foliage is already crisp and brown.

Lighter colors will pop better against a dark backdrop, and vice-versa, something to consider. By my cream garage, I have my dark purple clematis. On my fenceline, the lighter colors tend to pop better. Ville De Lyon is a nice pop of pink, stunning, and Viticella Venosa Violacea is one of my favorites. Polish Spirit is a strong grower. Whites are a nice contrast to the colors as well. They don't necessarily all bloom in unison, so it's nice to mix it up a bit for that reason.

• bev2009
    14 years ago

Thanks, kimcoco. I'll look up the clematis you suggested. Maybe I can post a picture later this summer if I get any blooms.

• cheerpeople
    14 years ago

FWIW...I have used the black plastic deer fence netting for the past several years.
    It is very cheap at Menards and one roll will probably last my lifetime. I just stretch it over my arch or up my trellis, secure with a few crochet hoops to the ground, and twist ties to the arbor... and it makes an almost invisible jungle gym for the SAC to climb. It is very strong.

In spring I cut the whole thing down (net and vine too) and toss it. It's so easy .Nothing to detangle.

I too like multiple clematis on the same trellis however if they are all on the same pruning schedule my idea works easily.
    [IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/cheerpeople/sequence%20of%20blooms%20Sept%2008/IMG_4438.jpg[/IMG]

Here is a link that might be useful: see it's invisible

• ginjj
    14 years ago

What do you pay for your deer fence netting? I just did a quick look online and it looks quite costly.

I also didn't have luck with your link to your pictures.

Thanks,
    Ginny

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Hey, cheer, I could not see your netting and I looked carefully. Do you only use it on the sides? Is this the same netting that is used for bird netting? I have used that. Hadn't thought about just throwing it all away. That would sure be easier than trying not to tear it.

• cheerpeople
    14 years ago

ahh shucks...now you did did it. You made me look at my albums...now I'm impatient.
    oh come on spring- let's get to july!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Yes, it does look like the bird netting I have used. I also bought mine years ago and it wasn't very expensive. Your flowers and gardens are very lovely.