Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Price of Cattle Panels

Posted by judith5bmontreal (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 7, 10 at 16:24

I've been thinking of replacing my haphazard collection of clematis supports with the cattle panel people on this forum talk about. What sizes do they come in and approximately how pricey are they? They will no doubt be more expensive up here, but at least I will have a rough idea, and can figure out how much I would need (and how much $$ to bring:).
Thanks so much for any information you can give me.
Judith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Price of Cattle Panels

Mine were 16 bucks each and came in 4 x 16 foot sections. I cut those in half for 8 foot tall trellises that I attached to 4 x 4s in concrete. Strong enough for a 300 pound man to climb to the top!

o

Wow, do you have any pics of that? (the clematis on the trellis, not the 300 pound man lol)

o

I don't have any pictures of clematis on them yet. I built in 05 and planted roses. The roses never really filled in so the clematis are getting a shot.

o

Cweathersby, thanks a lot. Now at least I have an idea of how much I will need to buy, and what the total cost will be. I just finished ripping off tons of old clematis growth from chicken wire supports, and believe me, it was NOT fun. The wire is flimsy and is now sporting many accidental cuts. I figure there's gotta be a better way:)
Judith

o

Photobucket

Photobucket

They are zig zagged which is why it doesn't look level.

Photobucket

When first built:

Photobucket

o

Wow! That is a great idea, and it looks fabulous already, I bet it will look amazing with clematis filling in behind the roses. Thanks for posting the pics! I am sooo going to copy you :-)

o

I found a link here with many photos of an arched trellis made with cattle panels: "Built my first cattle panel arch trellis today!" http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vertical/msg0622582022244.html

o

Cweathersby, thanks for the pictures - a little bit of inspiration!

Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here