Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

Found! Spontaneous baby Clematis!

jenn
12 years ago

While pruning the Clematis, I found a small one growing about a foot in front of the parent plants (Minuet and Polish Spirit) that must have grown from a layered stem lying on the ground last year. It's been there since at least last summer, as the main part has a big bunch of basal leaves, with 1 oldish woody stem and a bunch more leaves on the end of that.

I'd like to transplant it to another place in the yard. I'm assuming I need to dig up the whole root ball and handle it like a family heirloom passed down from the Mayflower. :-) Can I just pop it in a new whole, or should I put it in a large nursery pot to hold until Fall? I want to give it the best possible start, and I don't want to leave it where it is.

Comments (11)

• bob414
    12 years ago

I would pot it up in a gallon pot if I were doing it. Easier to take of that way.

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For how long? Do you mean I shouldn't plant it right away, but wait until fall instead?

• bob414
    12 years ago

Until it develops a good root system. I use the black nursery pots and take care of them it that until I see roots through the holes in the bottom.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Jenn, clematis roots go deep, so be careful when digging it up. If it has a good amount of roots then go ahead and plant it up in another location. If you decide to instead pot it up, remember that clematis roots like being kept cool and that hot sun shining upon a black nursery pot can generate so much heat it can literally cook the roots, I've experienced that firsthand and my summer temps are nowhere as hot as yours. When possible, I most prefer to use a white or light colored pot or just keep the container shaded behind something else.

Terrance

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Bob and Terrance.

I need to decide where to put it. And, I don't know if it is Minuet or Polish Spirit! I need to examine the leaves a bit closer.

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just potted. This is a plastic pot, in a sheltered spot on the north side of the house (a little morning sun). I'll keep it potted until late fall, that will give it a chance to grow more roots and give me time to find a new spot and prepare it in advance for planting.

{{gwi:578366}}

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

If black pots were a problem, all the professional growers would not use them. :o Cool roots is a myth of Clematis. They want moist roots and somehow that got translated to cool....

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    12 years ago

Jenn, your plant looks great! I might suggest moving it to a location with just a bit more sun though.

Jenn, sorry I hadn't meant for your post to become all about pots, lol. I've copied the following from another website, as I'm unsure as to if one is allowed place links to other garden websites?

"Direct sun on black plastic pots can harm your roots. If you pull a plant out of a pot that has been sitting in the sun for a long period of time you can see the difference in roots from the direct sun side of the pot and backside of the pot. I am speaking from experience in the nursery/landscape industry...I wouldn't recommend pulling your girls out to check. Really the only way to see a negative effect on the plant would be if you're using #5 or smaller containers, bigger containers have too much soil to make any difference."

I agree with this statement, though I've had plants sustain substantial root damage even when using very large black plastic pots. This probably isn't such a big deal with annuals or things like tomatoes, though I'd tend to be cautious with expensive ornamentals.

The following link is regarding trees, though would likely apply to most any ornamental being container grown.

Here is a link that might be useful: Root Heat in Containers

• jenn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all, LOL. When I planted the baby, the root system was not large and there is plenty of room for it to expand in this pot.

I set it on the back step where it gets morning sun until almost noon.

I'm wondering if I should pinch back all the stems this year to let it focus on root development --- after I allow it to bloom once so I'll know which one it is!

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I would pinch it back as it grows as that will help other stems emerge as well as root growth. Won't hurt to wait until after you see the early bloom.

• jenn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I planted it last weekend in a spot against the back fence that stays moist thanks to our neighbors' irrigation of the plants along their side of the fence. :-) I removed a Salvia 'San Carlos Festival' (moved it, actually) which was happy, and the soil was nice and just right for digging.

It had buds and the root system had grown. It's planted behind another plant and the soil stays moist there.

It's finally blooming so I can ID it: Polish Spirit! I was hoping it's PS. Not that I don't love Minuet, but I wanted the deep purple color of PS for this spot.