Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linsul

Help picking a clematis

Linsul
12 years ago

Hey all! This is a vine crisis in general, but Clematis is the crux of the issue. I live in the Frisco area of Texas.

I have a wall that faces west but gets shade from the house structure in the late afternoon. It's approx 20ft long and 10ft tall. I'm putting in anchors and will be running wire for vines today. Currently all that is in there is May Night salvia, which is doing great! I ammended the soil and have drip converted the spray heads to drip. So that is the current setup for that entrance border.

About 5ft across from this wall I have a brick pillar that extends up around 20ft forming an archway that leads to my front door. The flowerbed faces west and is a very harsh place in the summer. It is a large bed that has a burgundy cotton crape myrtle, spanish lavender, salvia gregii, and double knockout roses. The Spanish lavender is HUGE for just one season! This flower bed also has drip irrigation, and all the plants have adapted to the harsh location thankfully.

For the wall I was hoping to plant star/confederate jasmine and jackmanii clematis. Called the nursery closest to me and they said they don't carry jackmanii because it has a 20% success rate. They only carry sweet autumn clematis. I don't want a wall of solid white, and don't want to give up the jasmine because of its smell. Any viable colorful clematis alternatives, and locations to purchase?

For the pillar I was hoping for Don Juan climbing rose with a white clematis. I was told sweet autumn would choke out the rose. Any viable white clematis alternatives here?

Sorry for writing such a long post! If it's any concern, the plants in the bed near the pillar are large enough to provide excellent cover (in addition to cedar mulch) from the sun and elements for the rose and the clematis. I also have a shady pillar side if they'd do better there in the ground and then guided to the pillars sunny side. The salvia planted along the wall would be of some cover to the climbers planted, but that location does get a break with shade in the later afternoon.

Comments (3)