Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Is Nelly Moser A Goner?

moonwolf_gw
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Another question on my Nelly Moser (my old post announcing I'm a newbie is MIA). I was checking over my Nelly Moser only to find the vines it had broke off from the wind, leaving only a little over 5 inches of leafless stem left. Is my plant a lost cause? I saw in Wal-Mart that they're selling it bare root. I don't think I'll get another one but at least I have my Reiman.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (10)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Nope..clean up the breaks with your pruners..fertilize and you should see more vines emerge from the soil...Jeanne

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Jeanne!

I won't lose hope for it. It is a beautiful clematis! It is only three years old (bought it in a container at a local grocery market that sells plants in spring and fall).

I already pruned off the vines where they broke earlier before I posted. When should I fertilize? I have some Miracle-Gro Bloom Booster, so that may help it.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Fertilize the same time you fertilize your roses or when you see them first "leaf-bud" out..I use rose or Tomato fertilizer..make sure the middle number is the Highest the "P" in the N-P-K ratio

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Brad, most of my clematis die back to the ground and come back each year. I've also had rabbits cut the stems off and the clematis still come back. They want to grow.

I'm one of those people who doesn't grow roses, so don't have any idea when people fertilize roses. (OK, I have a couple of mini-roses in pots, but they don't count.) I fertilize with a tomato fertilizer once the clematis start actively growing.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help!

Where NM is growing, I will be growing two other annual vines with it (moonflower and cup and saucer vine). Will they overcrowd the clematis?

The Reiman I have I'll be transplanting when mom gets her new rosebush. When should I do it?
    Speaking of rosebushes, there's also a Fourth of July rosebush growing against the shed. The clematis grows at the corner on a trellis. I could even train the annual vines to grow onto the rosebush.

As I mentioned before, my original post is not showing up and these are the questions I asked.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

If your NM is a new planting and currently only grows with one stem it would be best to keep pinching it this year to help it put up more stems from the ground. Also all clematis are pruned hard in the spring the first three years to allow more energy establishing roots.

I haven't grown either of the annual vines you mention but have heard that moonvine gets very large leaves and stems so don't think that I would put it with a clematis. Others may have a different opinion. If NM is a young plant I think it would overpower her.

I prefer to add another clematis to the same trellis rather than annual vines.

I don't have roses but I planted clematis near a couple of bushes last fall so they could climb the bushes. Seems to me that planting them both at the same time makes sense. Hope someone with experience will respond to your questions.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I would transplant Reiman the same time you plant your new rose..Being in zone 6 I am sure you have tons of stuff that are still dormant or just coming awake from their winter nap?..Successful transplanting is in very early spring or when your plants are dormant..remember to use bonemeal (if you don't have problems with critters) in the planting hole this will aid in not getting transplant shock and keep moist until your new rose starts to put out new leaves and then begin your normal watering time..Another way to calculate when to prune is when the Forsythias are in bloom..every zone has its time..Mine is generally around Valentines day..I don't think either of those vines you mentioned would hurt your clematis...Jeanne

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone for the tips!

I don't know what kind of rose mom wants to put in place of the Reiman. Would Reiman do okay in a 15 inch pot? It said on the tag it would do well in a container. The person who gave it to me bought it at Lowe's.

Nelly Moser is the one by the shed, I forgot to mention. She does well there and she loooks pitiful with two small stems poking out of the ground.

Most plants around here are waking up. I only see buds for now on the Fourth of July rosebush, the trees in the yard, the clematises, hostas and the irises. No forsythias yet but I think it's next month when they bloom, I'm really not sure.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

No, Nelly is not a goner. Not even close. This pruning will help her, not hurt her. Nelly should have been pruned down to six inches or so when you planted her and every year for the first two or three to increase vines up from the buried crown. You did bury the crown when you planted her, right? :) Clems should be planted three to four inches deeper than they are in the nursery pots.

Any fertilizer labeled bloom booster has a higher phosphorus content than nitrogen which is what you want for flowering. Personally, I use slower release organics for plants in the ground and save fast acting but short lasting liquids for containers.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I would not put annual vines with clematis. Clems need all the water and nutrients they can get, they don't need competition.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor