Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Romantic dark reddish or purplish?

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 17:19

I asked about Romantic last year, but can't get any threads to come up about it.

Can someone remind me of the true color of it? I'm looking for a clem that is dark red or dark with a reddish hue to it. If you have other suggestions, I'm open to possibilities.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Romantic dark reddish or purplish?

Hi Kate,

I think you mean Romantika. Mine is a very dark when it first opens, a very dark purple rather than red.
Here are a few pics of mine last year. It was its first year in the garden.

Romantika

Romantika

Back view

Clematis Romantika

I have mine planted with Betty Corning. It does seem to attract mildew.

You can read more about it here.

Helen

Here is a link that might be useful: COTW

o

Niobe is more red if you are looking for reddish. So is Rouge Cardinal.

o

Ooooh, it's Romantika, not Romantic. No wonder I couldn't locate anything on it.

Maggie, those pics are sooooooo gorgeous that I wish I needed that color in that open spot in my garden! Unfortunately, I really need more reddish tones.

Buyorsell, yes, I've been considering Niobe, but thanks for mentioning Rouge Cardinal. I had forgotten about it.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

Kate

o

• Posted by katie Zone 8a NoCA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 13:19

My two favorite reds are Julia Correvon and Rogue Cardinal. Victor Hugo is described as reddish purple but I think it's too purple for your needs.

Katie

o

Some say 'Rebecca' is red but the one I saw in bloom inside at Donahue's looked maroon to me. Maybe it is red in the sun.

Gravety Beauty, a texensis, pruning group three, is the best red for me.

Gravety Beauty 2nd year, 2009

Clematis 'Gravety Beauty' '09

'Madame Julia de Correvon' appears wine colored (maroonish) to me. This photo is a little dark.

Clematis 'Madame Julia de Correvon'

Rouge Cardinal appears a velvety maroon though can look more red if the sun hits it just right.

Rouge Cardinal 2008

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here