Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone bought or seen Sweet Summer Love?

Posted by DebraV 6 TX Panhandle (dvessels@cableone.net) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 17:27

I have ordered two, they should arrive in a few weeks, I am just wondering if anyone has seen one in bloom or if you have ordered one. I love SAC, it is perfect for me here, no problem being invasive so far, dependable, love everything about it, so I hope Sweet Summer Love is as impressive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone bought or seen Sweet Summer Love?

Hi, I ordered one last year. I don't know if it survived or not, as it is under a ton of snow yet :)
It was a mail order plant around 4 inches high. I didn't see much of growth. Slugs seemed to like it bit, as it was a young plant.
It's a good thing you ordered two. You can try them in different locations and test them.

o

Please post and let us know how they grow - I'm dying for one. I ordered one last year, but after waiting months, I became convinced that it would arrive too late to plant, and cancelled.

o

Thank you for the replies. I ordered from a Nursery I have ordered from before and they are good on their guarantee. I will post picks as soon as it starts blooming. I hope we will not all be dissappointed. Debra

o

Debra, if you've ordered from a mail order nursery don't expect any flowers till year two or 3. You know how they are: They sleep, creep and leap :-)

o

Yes true-blue, I have some that bloom one or two blooms the first year, and some that just sit. I will let you know, as all of my SAC that I have ordered from this company have bloomed the first year, maybe I will be lucky. I hope I do not have unreal expectations on this one. I will post a pic if I should get some summer or fall blooms. Thank you, Debra

o

My only clematis, which bloomed the first year, was also Sweet Autumn. It was a first!

It might be possible that your's might flower, given you have a longer growing season. But in my experience, least expectation is the easiest way of gardening. :-)

Keep us posted, anyway. I'll write somewhat later, around June probably to post about my SSL...

o

Sweet Summer Love arrived today, with a brown stem already which is a good sign for me. I never plant Clematis until the stem is brown or hardened at least 8 inches. I have learned alot the hard way. Yes, true-blue, my season is much longer than yours, most of my Clems are almost 24" already and several have a bloom bud or two. I will post pictures as soon as they start blooming.

o

Great. I'm looking forward to your pictures :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here