Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting time for SoCal?

Posted by aimeekitty zone 9 (SW 18) socal (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 18:05

I have a new garden... it seems most stores have best stock in spring (about now or next month) but many online advice posts say it's best to plant in fall (to give them time to establish before summer?)

Should I really wait till this fall to plant...?

much thanks, I know nothing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting time for SoCal?

You can plant in spring with no issues - clematis just respond well to spending a winter in ground.

o

Just pay close attention to watering during their first summer. And you do know to plant these vines deeper in the ground than they are in their nursery pots?

ps. I plant clematis all year long, whenever I have a new plant or am in the mood :-)

o

how much deeper should I plant it? one of the sites was saying if there's poor drainage that I should plant it higher...

my soil is dry but very clay, so it doesn't drain fast, so I'm not sure. We have some drainage in, but the soil is still clay-y.

Much thanks you guys! :) I guess I'll order a few I've been obsessing over, then.

o

Planting deeply in heavy clay soils does pose a problem. You run the risk of creating a 'bucket' of enriched soil that just holds water......something that clematis (and a great many other plants) abhor.

Although I have not done it with clems, I'm don't see why you couldn't and that is to follow planting instructions for other plants when dealing with poorly draining clay soils -- dig out a wide but shallow planting hole, place your vine's rootball and then mound up with soil all around, creating a small berm or raised planting area. You would still want to make sure the vine was planted deeper than it was in the container - at least 2-4 inches deeper is recommended. This is to ensure the development of a strong root system and encourage more shoot development from the root crown, providing greater resistance to wilt. You just want to mound and firm the soil to the proper height.

An alternative is to plant in containers or use raised beds.

o

That sounds good to me! Thankyou! :) Put my order in today!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here