Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
26 degress tonight should I be worried

Posted by sandyl Zone 6B -7 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 18:16

I have several of my clematis, Ramona and Crystal Fountain that I prunned lightly about a month ago and tonight the temp is suppose to get down to around 26degress, these two clematis has already set bloom buds, I can't recall over the years if 26 degress have ever hurt them before, should I try to cover them up or should they be ok? I just can't remember at what tempature should I not worry about them.. I have 25 plus but these two are the only ones that have aready set bloom buds.. They are both on trellis's that I guess I could wrap a blanket around. For some reason I'm thinking 18 to 20 degress they should still be fine within covering up. What do some of you do when buds are set and a cold front comes through? The other's I have placed 5 gal buckets over because they are hard prunned down low enough to cover with buckets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 26 degress tonight should I be worried

If you are certain they are flower buds, then I would consider covering the plant with some lightweight material like Remay, aka harvest cloth. FWIW, I have a number of clematis that produce early flower buds and bloom without concern for late frosts or freezes but they are not type 2's.

I am always in a bit of awe at folks who report their type 2 clematis blooming or getting ready to bloom at this time of year........they will not be doing anything here until well into May, perhaps even June depending on type and siting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here