Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some help ID this one

Posted by juliany 6 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 18:23

I think I may have asked about this one but failed to write down what the suggestions were.
It doesn't appear to get very tall each year...maybe 3+ feet. It has been here many years but I neglected it. It blooms late June or early July from the dates on my photos.

I'm just trying to figure out what pruning to do on it. Last year I cut it down all the way so I could get the old trellis out and get the new trellis in place. I noticed it bloomed very darker when I did that but prior years it was more purplish like the first 2 photos.

This is a pic from 2009
Photobucket

Pic from 2010

Pic from 2011

It darkened quite a bit from the prior years.

Any suggestions?
Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some help ID this one

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 20:11

If it was from just the bottom picture and the fact that it doesn't get very tall I would guess Niobe. The top two look like so many different ones that I wouldn't even guess.

o

Thanks for the suggestion.
Would Niobe be that short?

o

• Posted by bob414 USDA 9, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 20:52

Clematis on the Web says it grows about 7 - 10 feet. I have one that grows to about 7'. Others say it is shorter for them.

o

My Niobe doesn't get much taller than 4 feet or so, but it's in a spot that's too dry I think. It certainly isn't happy. I agree that the third photo looks a lot like Niobe, but mine has always been that dark red, never the more purple-red.

o

hi! I'm certainly not an expert, but I do have 12 clematis, and I have had Niobe for about 6-7 years,like nhbabs it never gets very tall, but even in full day sun it is more red that purply for me. Could you possibly have two clematis there?(by the way the bottom picture does look like Niobe)

o

My Niobe has never reached 7' and it has always been purple like the top two pictures for me.

o

I only saw the darker version this year. I wish I had taken digital photos from prior years instead of the film prints.

Should I leave it alone this year or go ahead and cut it back again perhaps down to 12 inches from the ground (it isn't tall anyway)?

I need to get some info on group 2's and how to prune them versus cutting them all the way down.
The group 2's I got last year I already cut them back last week as they will only be here for their second season and from what I understand they need at least 3 years to show their stuff. Right?

Julia

o

Cut it back.

Hard pruning helps Clematis, it never hurts them especially when they are newly planted.

o

This one isn't new. It has been here several years which may mean over 5+. I'm going to trim it this year and just see what happens. I'm thinking of planting something else with it just so there is something growing to the top of the trellis. This clematis always stays short.

Julia

o

My Niobe opens like the flower on the picture 3, but after several days in sunny position it turns more purple like on the picture 1. 10 feet?? Never. 3-4 feet at the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here