Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pairing with Gillian Blades: the President or Vyvyan Pennell

Posted by tulipsmiles 6 South of Boston (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 18:27

I have a Gillian Blades that is so pretty and I'd like to plant another Clematis next to her so that it can compliment her colors. My Gillian Blades has a pronounced light purple stripe on each flower petal, and I thought a darker purple next to it, would bring that out.

I believe GB is a pruning group 2, so I'd like to stick to having another Group 2, when planting one beside her.

What are your thoughts between The President or Vyvyan Pennell? Does anyone have any opinion either way? Or negative experience with either of these that may make me sway one way or the other?

I'm zone 6 MA.

Thanks for any input to help me make up my mind.

Tulipsmiles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pairing with Gillian Blades: the President or Vyvyan Pennell

I have Multi-Blue with mine. The dark blue combo with Gillian Blades is nice.

I don't grow either of your choices so I can't comment on them.

o
RE: Pairing with Gillian Blades: the President or Vyvyan Pennell

It is always a confusion how different folks perceive colors, but I'd have to say that both your choices tend more towards blue than purple. Or at least not a deep purple :-) Having said that, there are very few truly purple (or at least how I interpret purple) type II clems. The really rich purple colored ones tend to be centered in the type III group.

'Burma Star' may be a choice - it seems to have a much richer, more intense purple (less blue) coloring than most others.

FWIW, don't put too much stock in photos of these plants. Colors in photos tend not to be very true to life, especially with the purply-blue shades.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here