Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kimpa600

Can I root cuttings now?

Has anyone rooted the prunings that are cut off many clemitis? I broke off by mistake a length of beautiful emerging foliage. Will roots come out of the leaf nodes? Thanks

Comment (1)

• peggiewho
    12 years ago

Yes, that is where it would root if the cutting isn't too green. I haven't tried rooting clematis before but just took a cutting a couple of days ago to try in my cloning machine. I took a long cutting 3 or 4 nods. I cut it just below the bottom nod and striped the leaves off of it. I then cut the top off, too green. So I have a T shaped cutting with a stripped nod and a leafy one at the top. If it doesn,t root I will try again when the growth is a little older. Nothing is a more vigorous grower then a clematis so I have faith it is only a matter of time. Last year I rooted other vines in soil. I used closed plastic containers and pinned the vines on top of damp potting soil and put under a light with bottom heat. There are lots of warm places like on top of the refrigerator or computer tower. I would not let a good piece of foliage go to waste.