Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweet_melissa_gw

Replacing shrub with clematis

sweet_melissa
15 years ago

Hi,

I currently have an espelier pyracantha growing on a black iron short fence/railing in my backyard. This thing is a beast and it has nasty thorns. I am tired of the constant pruning and plan to give it a shovel pruning shortly. I am thinking about replacing it with clematis. I have a purple clematis(not sure of variety) on my mailbox post and love it. It dies back to the ground each year, is extremely easy to care for, and looks beautiful. So my question is...which clematis should I choose for the backyard. I should say it would be in sun from about 8-9 am to about 2pm. I am also wondering if the black iron railing would be a problem. I think I would prefer one or two pink varieties. The clematis would be on the fence behind pink spirea and a limelight hydrangea. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Melissa

Comments (8)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Your exposure sounds like a great place for a clematis and the black railing shouldn't be an issue for the clematis. I assume you were worried about the sun heating it up and burning the clematis vine as it attaches itself to the structure.

As to suggestions, I am still not sure of the dimensions of the railing. How high is it, how long is it, and how large are the rails (are they too large for clematis to grab ahold of)? Answering those questions will allow us to give you better recommendations for clematis we suggest. Just off the top of my head however, based on your coplanting suggestions, I would think something purple would contrast nicely with the foliage and blooms of your pink spirea. Just about anything could be paired with the limelight hydrangea.

• bdkofbc
    15 years ago

I have an absolutely gorgeous and huge Rhodo (12-15 ft high) It is beautiful for 2 weeks and boring for 50. I would like to plant 2 colours of Clematis under it so they can bloom and add some different colour interest to that section of my garden. The prefer their roots to be cool so I planned on building a rockery around them. I live on an island that is all delta land and is like a huge wick, the grass doesn't need sprinkling. So water is not a problem other than comptition from the rhodo. I have so much greenery around in the form of fruit trees and other assorted evergreens and just need a huge splash of colour. I once saw a climbing rose about 30 feet up in the top of a Douglas Fir blooming away like mad and I was enthralled by it.
    I thought about putting a rose in but am concerned about the thorns in the future.
    Any suggestions and/or criticism appreciated.
    Bev

• sweet_melissa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks nckvilledudes for the response. The black iron fence is 4ft high and approximately 13 feet wide. The spindles are 3/4 inch and they are spaced 5 1/2 inches apart. If this is not sufficient, I could always add chicken wire or wire garden fencing to the iron to make it more hospitalble. Thanks for the color recommendation. I found an old link on this forum with some beautiful clematis combinations from suzymac. I am hoping to try something like that. Do you think my fence is too short? I was hoping to train it to move more vertically if possible. This is the link I mentioned above. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/clematis/msg06120611324.html?7

Thanks again!
    Melissa

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

The main issue I see with your plan is the height of your fence. Most of the vining clematis will climb much taller than 4 feet tall. You could train them laterally but that will take almost constant attention when the plants first start growing in the spring and well into the growing season. Then again, you could allow them to reach the top and then flop back over onto themselves. I do this but the trellises that I use to do this are 8 feet tall or so and the plants have much greater space to climb before they flop back over. You could try some of the shorter varieties of clematis--the patio collection from Evison or you could try some of the integrifolias, but you would have to tie them onto the spindles since for the most part, the integrifolias don't cling.

• sweet_melissa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the information! I will look into the 2 varieties you mentioned. I really appreciate your time.

Melissa

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

No problem. There are tons of integrifolia types out there and not sure if you have ever used the Clematis on the Web website or not but it is a great resource of info on clematis. I searched for the Boulevard collection instead of the patio collection and came up with what is linked below. If you click on each of the names listed, you will get information on the various clematis. Just realize that 1 meter equals about 3.28 feet. The heights given are just averages and what you get in your garden may be shorter or taller.

Here is a link to the search function on COTW:
    http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemlistsearch.cfm

If you copy and paste the link into your browser and hit go, and then go down to where it says Approximate Mature Height, choose 1 meter or less, and then hit the Search Now button, you will get a list of clematis that will be 3 feet tall or less.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting and we would love to see pictures when you have flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search on COTW for Boulevard Collection

• sweet_melissa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanks for the link! I look forward to planting some beautiful clematis. I will post pics when things get going. Thanks again for taking the time to help me. I am grateful for your assistance.

Melissa

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

No problem Melissa.