Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
are clematis perennials?

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 21:00

....in zone 7, Alabama?

My mom bought a clematis at lowes for $1.50 cause it was dead, I bought it back to life :D

anyway, it has tiny purple flowers. It bloomed maybe a dozen times, and then it turned brown and crispy in November, I haven't pruned or anything.

Do you think it's still alive? should I have pruned it? It was only maybe a foot tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: are clematis perennials?

Yes, clematis are perennials. If it is still in the pot you can cut it back and plant it 2-3 inches deeper than the level of the pot.

Do you have a photo to post of it in bloom or a plant label so we can give more specific advice?

Clematis on the Web has lots of photos to help with identification.
Also Brushwood Nursery has clematis divided into large bloom and small bloom and you might find your clematis there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Small Flowering Clematis

o

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/small-flowered-clematis-4/clematis-bonanza-547.html?zenid=d7e4ea825227018649292ac53a9b2410

this looks the closest to it. Sorry I don't have the tag anymore, I planted it in the ground a few months back. Fire Ants have built a nest around the base of it, will they hurt it?

o

It has been suggested on this forum that the first two years to cut back hard for both Pruning 2 and Pruning 3 clematis. Some people will cut back pruning 2s every year. They just lose some of the early spring bloom and get blooms later.

Bonanza is a prune 3 which is cut back every year. Since you are not sure of your variety I suggest you take photos of it in bloom this year and post them here. Someone might be able to verify that it is Bonanza or make another suggestion.

Sorry, I have no advice on fire ants. Fortunately we do not have fire ants in MN.

o

no fire ants?? lucky!! what do you mean by 2 and 3?

o

Pruning is varied for clematis. There are three basic pruning groups. Some label them A, B, and C. Mostly we talk about 1, 2, and 3 instead of lettering.

There is lots of info about clematis on the Web. Here is a link to get you started.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning clematis

o

gardengal wrote a good explanation about pruning on this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: ID question--with pruning info

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here