Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning OLD Sweet Autumn Clematis now

Posted by stilldaddysgirl S. Illinois (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 20, 10 at 21:48

I just finished pruning my Sweet Autumn Clematis. Unfortunately, I did NOT aggressively prune for a few years - I just cut it back partially. It still bloomed nicely - but, it was bare towards the bottom.

I have pruned pretty hard this Spring - not realizing that I shouldn't have pruned past the last buds. I have two out of six canes that still have buds - the others do not. My canes are over an inch in diameter. Will they grow anything and produce flowers again?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning OLD Sweet Autumn Clematis now

You will most definitely see new vines emerge from the soil..this rejuvenation you did on your SAC will pay you back with a more robust and flowery shrub...don't worry...Jeanne

o

Thank you Jeanne from Texas! I was very worried that I may have damaged it beyond recovery - thank you for taking the time to reassure me :0) I will look forward to my blooms. It was my mother in laws plant, we moved it when she left the farm and came to live with us 7 years ago. It has done beautifully. My son also took a start and his is happily climbing around his hot tub enclosure.

o

You are so welcomed hon..please come on here and shout the glories of your pruning come this late summer/early fall when your SAC blows you away with her beauty!!..not to mention her intoxicating fragrance!!..Jeanne

o

I did something similar last spring. A very old and well established sweet autumn. I cut it back HARD. Maybe leaving only 6-8 inches. It was very thick and trunk like. It had a spectacular year. It grew to it's pre-pruning height and flowered like never before. AND it was covered with flowers from top to bottom! I don't regret a thing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here