Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Clematis in Dallas?

Posted by aggierose (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 22:33

Someone told me today that Clematis won't grow well in the Dallas, Tx area. I'm just curious if this is true.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Clematis in Dallas?

I live in east Texas - they grow great for me. Fireworks, The President and Mrs. Chomdoley are blooming now - more buds on others. Roots like shade, tops like sun - plant in good soil - I add a bit of lime from time to time, water when needed. I grow out the small bagged ones from Lowes and Walmart in gallon pots until they are older. Can plant annuals around the base of the plant to shade the roots. You should have the same success.

o

clematis I live in Waco. This photo was taken yesterday. I have grown them in pots and in the ground for about three years now. This one always puts on a good show. I bought it at Lowes but have lost the tag.

o

There is a forum member who has dozens of Clematis in the Dallas area.

You don't have to shade the roots, just keep them moist. That tops in the sun, roots in the shade deal is a mistake of wording. They meant they need moist roots.

o

When I lived in Dallas years ago, I had success growing both the sweet autumn clematis and Duchess of Albany in full sun. These were the only two I ever tried to grow there.

Now in Houston, I grow many more. I started with the viticella hybrids and have since branched out a little more. My top performers are Emilia Plater, Inspiration and Prince Charles - perhaps the fact that these are the oldest also contribute to them flowering the most.

Clematis Container Nursery has an article on growing clematis in hot climates written by a person who lives in Atlanta and gardens in red clay soil. I would think that Atlanta's climate and soil would be similar to Dallas (except that Dallas has Blackland Prairie clay soil instead of red clay). If you click on the link, the article is a little more than half way down the list of articles and is titled "Growing Clematis in Hot Climates".

Here is a link that might be useful: growing clematis in hot climates

o

never tried before, but seems doable according to other posts.

shirley-z-8-tx, that's some good shots there.

:-O

-------------------------------------
Dallas Forum

o

As it happens, Brushwood Vines and Climbers is having a sale now (15% off) until 5pm Wednesday. Clematis viticella hybrids do well in hot areas. I bought 6 two years ago (total newbie) and they're all still alive!! And growing. I'm Zone 9a in hot and humid Florida.

Here's an article on Viticellas that gives a lot of names that you can look up.
http://www.howellsonclematis.co.uk/Pages/Gnews4.html

Here's Brushwood's link:
http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here