Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rlaws_gw

Transplanting a clematis

rlaws
14 years ago

My wife and I just moved into a house last year with a rather large clematis (~4-5 ft wide, ~12 ft tall) that I just cut down to about 18 inches. I would like to move it from where it can attach itself to the house. I have a range of places where I can move it to (mostly shade to full sun). Being a new clematis grower I have a few questions. Where would be the best place to move it to? How fast/much do they grow? How big can/do they get? I don't know the type, but when we moved in in the beginning of Aug., it was blooming and would stop producing new blooms unless the seeding heads were picked off, at which point it would start to rebloom. I don't know when exactly it started to bloom. I have wet, clay soil, what soil type do they like?

Thanks.

Comments (4)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

It would help to know where you are located and what type of clematis you have :-) But in general, most clematis prefer at least 6 hours of sun and will do best in well-drained soils that are organically rich. Size is variable depending on the specific vine, but you can certainly expect your vine to reach the same size it was before, if not larger. And established vines grow fast - even if hard pruned, they will regain their former size each season.

Blooming in August would lead me to believe it is a pruning group 3 vine or a late season clematis. But there are a great many different ones that fit this category and some will get very large, while others will stay more modestly sized. All appreciate hard pruning.

Transplanting a mature, well-established clematis can be tricky. Clematis can produce quite large root systems to support all that top growth -- much larger than you might expect. To avoid shocking the plant excessively, try and get as much of the rootball out undamaged as possible. Prepare the new planting location before you dig out the vine, making sure it has very good drainage and amend the hole well with compost or other organic matter - a very wide and deep hole is suggested but at least one that equals or is slightly larger than the existing rootball. Replant immediately and water in well. And do it soon before the plant starts to put out much new growth.

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

This sentence caught my eye. "I would like to move it from where it can attach itself to the house". Combined with your statement "Being a new clematis grower..." I was just wondering whether you are worried that the clematis will attach itself by roots or suckers like ivy and damage your house? If so there is no need to be concerned. Clematis climbs by twining its leaf stems around a support such as netting or a trellis. It can't stick itself to your walls. If I am teaching my grandmother, sorry.

• rlaws
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gardengal48-
    We are in Zone 6. Our soil is pretty much all clay and is still pretty wet from the rains we got about a week ago. From everything I have read/heard I was surprised that the vine was doing as well as it was in the location it is in. Thanks for the transplant tips.

Flora -

I know they dont have roots from the vine, but the leaf stems were digging into the cracks in the wood of my porch. I would like to stop that, it makes it more difficult to remove them plus it's so thick that it blocks the veiw of my woods.

• flora_uk
    14 years ago

OK. I WAS teaching my grandmother. Apologies.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company