Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oliveoyl3

transplanting & pruning overgrown Clematis armandii Snowdrift

oliveoyl3
11 years ago

Can an overgrown Clematis armandii Snowdrift grow back from severe hard pruning & transplanting at the same time?

This 10 year old plant has a main stem is about as thick as my wrist (2") branching to 2 stems about an inch thick all with peeling bark. To free it from the leaning arbor we had to cut it back to about 8' and there are 3 or 4 bare stems.

Our daughter didn't like a few things about the placement of the clem, so I pruned it for her last year to see if she could live with it. The leaning arbor, the dead stems underneath, messy leaves in summer, & shade cast on vegetable garden were all too much, so it had to go.

We dug out as much of the rootball as we could, but the location was tight between a concrete curb, arbor posts, & peony. We wrapped it in newspaper, then burlap & placed in a barrel sized pot then watered it all well before putting in my Suburban. We transplanted it tonight in good soil with a few inches of compost mulch and watered it well. It hasn't rained in a few days, but rain is expected possibly tonight.

Is there anything we can do other than good clematis care to encourage new growth?

Is there a chance that it will make it or it too difficult to transplant a mature clematis like this?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?