Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aorti2

Clemantis won't bloom

aorti2
17 years ago

I purchased a Clemantis about 4 years ago and to date it still has not bloomed. Can anyone tell me why? What could I possibly be doing wrong? I don't remember what kind it is but each year it is full of leaves but simply won't bloom. What can I do to make it produce flowers?

Comments (15)

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Have you fertilized it with either Rose or Tomato Fertilizer?..If you are using a High Nitrogen fertilizer then all you'll get is green leaves..do you know the name...Jeanne

• aorti2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm looking for the name of it. I ordered it a few years ago and I'm sure I still have the order form. I keep everything, lol. I only give it miracle gro because I was uncertain of what to fertilize it with. But I do have both rose and tomato fertilizer and will fertilize it today. Once I find the name I'll let you know. Thanks for your reply.

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

You are welcomed..bad thing about Miracle Grow..is if you don't look on the N-P-K ratio most of the time you have a Miracle grow that is high in nitrogen...Jeanne

• aorti2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I found the name...it's a Jackmanii. Does that help?

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Are you Hard Pruning him each late winter/early Spring which is Valentine's Day for us in our zone..he blooms on new vines...Mine is just now full of buds and starting to open now..Jeanne

• merandy19
    17 years ago

One thing to remember about clematis: Feet in the shade and head in the sun. Meaning their roots like to be cool, with underplantings of shallow rooted groundcovers or mulch. May sure their tops get sun. Sometimes a plant that doesnt get enough sun wont bloom.

• aorti2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did not know to prune it, but now that I know I will prune it in the fall. I have learned a lot from reading these posts so hopefully next year I'll have blooms. Thanks for all of your help.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Pruning encourages new growth which will bloom and you want it to be encouraged in spring not fall.

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Aorti..don't wait till this fall to prune..get out there now and prune it and fertilize and you'll have blooms...we always prune and fertilize our clematis around Valentines day..and since we have a longer growing season...we can reprune after the first bloom cycle is over and refertilize and get another bloom cycle...your "Jackmanii" will love you for it....Jeanne

• aorti2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'll do so today. I'm so excited and can't wait to see what happens. Will keep you informed.

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Please do hon, I wanna see blooms on your "Jackmanii" this year!!!!!!!!! Woohooooooooo...Jeanne

• thepitclub
    16 years ago

My clematis was planted about 7 years ago (a tiny, scraggly plant purchased on clearance, lol). The first year it was totally destroyed/eaten by a dog, but I was suprised to see it reappear the following year. Since then I have called myself "babying" it, because it seemed to have such a will to survive. The poor thing has never bloomed, but the last couple of years the vines have grown very well, climbing all over the the trellis I put up for it. It is planted in full sun, with well drained, rich soil. The roots are protected, with smaller plants growing around it (Frog's Tongue and such). There is a rose bush beside it that has been fetilized regularly, so I could only assume the Clematis would be benefiting from it as well. It appears the conditions mentioned thus far have been met, so now I'm more baffled than ever. I have no idea what variety it is, but the vines die completely in the winter, and it sprouts back from the root base. I do prune away the dead vines/stems in the spring. Any more ideas?? Help!

• eden_in_me
    16 years ago

Could roots from the rose be too much competition? I had similar conditions with a Polish Spirit that I put too close to an old huge Lilac clump. Last Fall I dug it up & put it in a huge tub in the same spot, with plenty of compost/leaf mold, bone meal, dried cow manure and garden soil.
    A Marie Boisselot is planted 3 feet further from the roots, and flowered from the git go, but was a bigger plant to start with.

Possibly moving the clem further away and ammending the new planting hole will help. The clem can be trained to scramble into the rose, if that is the effect you want.

Marie

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I have Clems basically in the same hole with each other and with roses.

I suggest you fertilize the Clematis with a high Phosphorus fertilizer and pinch back the tips of the growing stems to encourage branching.

Don't rely on the rose's fertilizer reaching the Clematis.

• thepitclub
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! I don't think it is competing with the rose for root space, as the rose was only planted a couple years ago and is not very large yet. I will try the phosphorus fertilizer and stem pinching to see if it helps. I purchased another Clematis plant yesterday (a big healthy one this time) and planted next to it. I guess this will tell me if it's something I'm doing wrong, if the new one acts the same. Thanks again~~~