Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnwsgal

Day Trip to Donahue's

mnwsgal
14 years ago

This weekend DH and I took our annual day trip to Fairbault, MN (appr. 1.5 hours) for Donahue's spring open house. Came back with 5 gallon-sized clematis: Bourbon, Henryi, Kingfisher, Natascha and Rogucchii and 1 two gallon sized: Cassis.

I planned to only pick up two but DH was an enabler pointing out this blossom or that blossom. The blossoms on Sugar Candy are huge! Wish I had also picked up Filigree.

I was told they are discontinuing Alabast and Artic Queen because they are such slow growers, didn't even have any 4in. pots of those.

Comments (8)

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Arctic Queen is a slow grower????
    It is one of the most vigorous Clematis I have (see the 'Who Is Your Fastest Starter?' thread). Fantastic grower for me. I even bought another one (also Donahue's, but a baby). This second one grows much better than other double Clematis planted next to it: Franziska Marie and Josephine.

Congratulation on your purchases! I always had a success with Donahue's Clemmies.

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I am just pea-green with envy..congrats..happy Planting...Jeanne

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

alina, glad Artic Queen does well for you. I have had one for years that barely grows. I see it is peeking out again this spring. Moved it a couple of years ago so don't want to move it again, yet.

The comment was along the lines that it doesn't grow much, just sits there and that has also been my experience.

What zone are you in and where do you have Artic Queen located? Any suggestions to get this gal growing are welcome. I haven't done the alfalfa tea and will try that.

Thanks, Jeanne. Even if I didn't buy any (like that would happen, LOL) it is fun to see so many varieties in bloom.

• alina_1
    14 years ago

I have not done anything special to her. The first AQ was bought in 2006 - one of my first five Clematis. I bought it from Bluestone Perennials on 50% off sale, so it costed less than $5 and it was in 2" tiny Donahue pot. This photo was taken about 3 months later:

{{gwi:579871}}

We moved to a new house soon after this. She was potted in 1 Gallon pot for a couple of years. About two years ago I planted it in the garden. You can see that it was not an easy life for this poor Clemmie... This spring it completely covered Azalea shrub. Numerous buds. I can't wait to see her blooming.

I am in zone 6/7, MD.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, she is beautiful. Now I remember why I wanted her.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I have Arctic Queen. It gets 4-5 feet tall, has lots of shoots, but the blooms are sparse and usually odd looking.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Mine is too young to really judge how vigorous she is but her first blooms are really odd this year. Not blooming yet but the buds look bizarre.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    14 years ago

My two Arctic Queens are entering their second season now and are so covered in buds that I can hardly wait to see the bloom.

Last year, one AC was a willing grower/bloomer, but the other one acted like it could barely survive. That was strange since they are planted in the same place--one on either side of an arbor.

This year, both are growing great, although the first AC (which grew so well last year) is about twice as far along as the little wimpy one that almost didn't survive. I strongly recommend Arctic Queen, but obviously, like most clems, some plants may be more vigorous than others, at least for the first couple years.

Kate

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals