Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clematis no flowers!

Posted by albany1 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 7:12

I've had a clematis for 10 or 15 years and it has always done well.Last year there were no flowers.Nothing has changed so I'm not sure why.
I've been told to add some triple phosphate now-but others have said don't do it...
any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clematis no flowers!

Other than pruning incorrectly or at the wrong time of year or beng located in too much shade, there really isn't any reason for a clematis not to bloom. In fact, they seem to do so inspite of being grown in challenging conditions :-)

You don't indicate what type of clematis it is and if none of the above reasons apply, I'd be inclined to prune it back hard, fertilize appropriately and wait to see what happens. Adequate water as necessary of course. Unless a type1 or very early blooming clematis, you should still see some flowering this season.

o

thanks gardengal48!
Yes, it was pruned hard(like always)and I was thinking I might try triple phosphate this year (any opinions on that?)
although I'm reading that tomato/rose fertilizer might be better.So far it has not been an either warm or sunny spring!

o

I shy away from any heavy phosphate fertilizer. Phosphorus pollution is the number one contamination source for groundwater and streams in the US and the vast majority comes from homeowner applications. Personally, I think triple phosphate should be banned but that's just my opinion :-)

You should do fine with the tomato or rose fertilizer and I'd lean heavily towards an organic product. While even organic sources of phosphorus can leach they do not do so nearly to the same degree as something like the triple P.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here