Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who Is Your Fastest Starter?

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 22, 10 at 7:36

Its only mid April and Betty Corning has almost reached 6 feet! I have been pruning her very low (8") each spring since planting and she really responds. Each plant has about a dozen vines so she requires quite a bit of manipulating and knitting.

What clematis shows early vigor in your garden?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who Is Your Fastest Starter?

I would have to say Ville de Lyon, she's lovely.

Photobucket

o

I don't know the name of my earliest growing/blooming clem--maybe H.F. Young (or maybe The President?). It's always far ahead of the others. In fact, the first bloom on it opened just yesterday--so lovely.

Kate

o

My garden is young - we bought the house less than 3 years ago. Yet, I planted about 60 Clematis already.

I am absolutely amazed how vigorous Kullus is. So many basal shoots! It is already covered half of the trellis. Looking forward to seeing it in bloom!

Another good starter is Arctic Queen. She is older than Kullus though.

o

Polish Spirit is way ahead of all my others. I'll have to watch that it doesn't completely take over that side of the fence and smother the others!

Judith

o

Betty is over 6' now - you can almost see her moving with the naked eye! I had to lasso the entire plant to keep her against her support. We are in the midst of a three-day rain storm, so I expect to see 7' by next weekend.

Betty has to grow 8 or 9' to completely cover the arbor. Then we get to look up into the little bell-shaped flowers hanging down from the top.

Thanks to everyone for explaining the importance of cutting back clematis each spring.

Harry

o

Usually a race to bloom between Asoa & Dawn. Asoa is older, and had been first for a while, but last year the winner was Dawn.

Or sometimes an Atragene blooms first. Buds are bigger on Koreana Brunette, but Constance looks almost ready too.

A very early Spring this year here.

Marie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here