Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Have small Clematis in 4' pots, should I move up to larger pot?

I bought these last fall and they successfully overwintered in their pots, in the ground. Amazing. lol So now I am wondering should I be placing them in their final position or allow them to spend another season in a larger pot with support? Any opinions?

:-)

Thanks...

pm2

Comments (8)

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

The general advice I give when I don't someone's experience with clematis nor know little about their gardening habits is to pot them up into one gallon pots and grow them out and then plant them in late summer. The reason I do this is to maximize the chances of the clematis surviving since clematis have had such a bad reputation as being finicky plants. In a pot you can insure that the water and fertiliztion is going directly to the plant versus being sucked up by surrounding plants.

I have planted smaller clematis directly in the ground but I tend to baby them. If you are an experienced gardener and are particularly attentive to them this summer, then you could plant them now.

The choice is essentially up to you since you know better than we how much attention you will give them.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks...sounds like good advise. Since I am still not certain where I want them to go permanently I think growing them on in gallon pots sounds like a real plan. I usually use organic liquid fertilizer, seaweed/fish emulsion and add a lesser amount every time I water and pot in a peat moss/perlite/home made organic compost mix. Will that be the right attention for clematis? I only have one clematis and would like to start collecting more.

One more question. Since shading the roots seems to be advise I have often found emphasized by articles I've read, would you suggest positioning the pots to accomodate this recommendation?

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

All those articles are wrong. lol

Clematis do not need their roots shaded. What they need is evenly moist soil. However, small dark pots heat up quickly in the sun. If you have room, you could sink the pots in the ground, or double pot them.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

I agree with Janet and as she well knows I have beating this drum for several years now. The old adage of heads in the sun and feet in the shade is an old wives tale. Moisture is what is required and that typically occurs when the roots are shaded since it slows down the evaporation of the water in the soil and the consistent moisture is the critical element, along with appropriate fertilization.

For what it is worth, I have potted up countless numbers of clematis into one gallon sized pots and left them in the sun where they get morning sun thru midafternoon sun and they have been fine. One definite advantage of sinking the pots in the ground is that you won't have to water the pots as much since the soil will act as an insulator to the desication of moisture from the potting mix. Just make sure that the surrounding soil drains well or your pots could hold too much moisture and cause root rot.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I have a south-west exposure on my deck where I keep most of my pots. Late afternoon during high summer, it absolutely cooks on the deck and it's a challenge to keep the soil in small pots moist.

I figure the only way I'll ever be able to have healthy plants on the deck is to double pot.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

What exactly do you mean by double potting them Janet? You plant them in pot and then put them in a larger pot that you back fill with more potting mix?? Why not just put them in a larger pot to start with?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the added input. I could plant them up in gallon containers and place them in such a way that a larger pot will shade the soil while the plant and support are in the sun. I would just as soon plant them in the ground, as to put the pot in the ground. [g] Most of my property is part sun and only a few locations are 6hours of sun, so I don't think they will bake anywhere. I also have another option. I do plant up 22inch pots with annuals. I could use the clematis with support in the middle and surround them with annuals for the summer, any thoughts?

nckville...My understanding of double potting is that the inner pot has the plant and appropriate soil while the outter, larger pot has just bark mulch. Not sure if that is what was meant either.

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

I figured that was the general effect of what Janet meant, but what I don't understand is why you would do that versus just planting in a larger pot to begin with. Soil is a pretty good insulator, but am not sure how it compares to the insulating effects of bark though.

If your pots would only get 6 hrs or so of sun and you keep them well watered, you shouldn't have an issue. If I can do it in zone 7a or 7b in NC, it should work for you in zone 6 MA. Burying the pots in the ground would provide additional insulation.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions