Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can clematis be split?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 12 at 7:55

I am thinking of spitting a Jackmani that is several years old and has a large base. Is this a wise idea or am I better off buying a young one that I want to grow on an obelisk in another yard?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can clematis be split?

While they will sometimes split or the root balls divide naturally when being transplanted, I'd hesitate to do so intentionally -- you are never guaranteed of a successful result. If given the choice, I'd opt for a small, new plant rather than risking the mother plant.

o

Agreed unless it is one of the non vining Integrifolia types. I've split several, easily.

Jackmanii isn't in that group though.

o

Many times I've successfully taken a division from an established large flowered clematis, though this must be done most carefully so as not to damage the mother plant. As gardengal48 has mentioned, older plants will often naturally divide, though unless needing to move a plant, I really dislike disturbing a clematis, as these can be a tremendous pain to dig because of the vast root system most will develop. I agree it being best to purchase a new plant that can often be obtained at a very reasonable price.

o

Thanks, a new one is on my spring list...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here