Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsb22_gw

Clems at top of arbor...now what?

dsb22
12 years ago

Hi, I'm pretty new to clematis. I have a 3 yr old sweet autumn and a 2 yr old Polish spirit growing up a 6' arbor covered in lattice. Their growth this year was pretty amazing. They're already at the top of the arbor and turning into a tangled mass that's starting to topple backwards.

About 4 feet above the arbor is a deck. The deck has 3' rails and then another 3' or so of lattice. I'm contemplating non-HOA-offending ways to get the clematis to span the 4 foot gap. From other posts, it seems like string or fishing wire would work...spaced say 4" apart?

If not, would it hurt their blooming to keep them trimmed at the top of the arbor?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Deanna

Comments (4)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Yes, string or fishing line will work. Both of those Clematis won't fit a six foot arbor even with the annual pruning almost to the ground that they require for best blooming. Sweet Autumn may eventually swamp the Polish Spirit, it is a huge Clematis though Polish Spirit is no weak grower. I have Polish Spirit growing up a tree and so far, it has reached fifteen feet in it's third year...

• dsb22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, yeah, I had pruned both of them to the ground. I think I'll gift the SAC to a coworker with more space next year and relocate the Polish Spirit to a spot where it can get taller more easily.

Any recommendations on replacements that would happy covering just 6'? East facing location, gets sun from 9 to about 2. I've so far stuck with type 3 clematis as I'm a little intimidated by the pruning requirements of the others.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Piilu will remain under six feet and can be whacked to the ground like a type III. It is a bloom machine.

• dsb22
    Original Author
    12 years ago

as far as replacements go, pinks or purples would work best with the rest of the garden.