Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommydee_gw

found this clem at local nursery

tommydee
15 years ago

jackimini from local nursery,was told it was three to five years old{{gwi:580613}}
massive root system {{gwi:580614}}
it cost 19.95 {{gwi:580615}}

Comments (6)

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

I've never dug up a 5 years old Jackmanii, but that doesn't look like a 5 year old clematis. Most people, even those in nurseries don't have a clue about clematis. One nursery owner once said to me, when I asked him if they had any clematis in stock, said, in a snarky tone, Oh, you mean clem-an-tis, then looked at me as if I was an idiot.

I'm going to be digging up and relocating up a five year old plant soon. I'll try to remember to take photos.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I have to agree. It doesn't look like a 5 year old clematis to me either based on the size of the rootball and the number of stems exiting the crown. On top of that,if it were a 5 year old clematis, I would be surprised if it didn't cost more than $19.95 (of course it could be a clearance item or something you got at a good price).

One point I want to note about your planting hole is that it appears you have clay soil (could be wrong but that is what it appears like to me.) If you amend that hole with good topsoil and/or soil conditioner or compost and the clay is not fast draining, your plant is going to end up in a swimming pool when it rains and it will most likely rot. Perhaps your soil drains more freely than mine, but in my garden I do not amend the planting hole with anything other than some pine bark fines to help open up the porosity of the soil somewhat. The plant is then mulched repeated with various organic mulches that break down and the earthworms till the material into the soil. For large beds, I mix in a lot of organic matter, but for planting holes I apply the organic matter to the top and let the worms do the digging in. You know your soil better than I and if you have been successful doing what it appears you are doing, then go for it. Just wanting to bring some info for you to consider.

Janet, what clematis will you be digging up. Dig far and wide to get as many of the roots as possible. Those roots can spread far and wide in 5 years.

• tommydee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

actually nckville its sand you are seeing,at one time there was an above ground swimming pool there and the sand buffered the liner.i do amend the soil with compost/manure fresh store bought garden soil,handful of bone meal. it seems to drain well,i had a Clem in the same area last year and it did well.i think the clem in the pics is more like 2 to 3 yrs old either way i was happy to see it was healthy and hope the four i bought just like it cover my new arbor.i will post some pics later in the season.
    {{gwi:580616}}

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

If it sand, then drainage certainly shouldn't be a problem. If anything, it means you will need more organic matter to help hold the moisture so you won't have to water as much during the heat of the summer. Then again, you might be one of the lucky ones that tend to get water all season long supplied by Mother Nature. Either way, please post pictures when they are up and blooming.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Miguel,

I'll be digging up Arctic Queen. It is currently on the fence, receiving full sun until about 5 PM. Last year the blooms all faced toward the fence. One of my theories is that the spot is too hot. When I first bought it, I grew it in a pot where it received only a couple hours of morning sun. It was stunning.

The plan is... after barerooting, I'll plant it in the garden in a spot where it will receive afternoon shade. Or, I might root prune it and pot it.

However, I will admit that it could be an exercise in futility; Arctic Queen might not grow well in my climate.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Janet, it sounds like it did well in your pot so perhaps pot culture is the way to go if it doesn't like the new spot in your garden.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living