Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brit5467

Will wet feet hurt this clemantis?

brit5467
12 years ago

Just for a little background, I just planted this a month ago. It's about 5 yrs. old and came out of gallon pot that had been planted in ground. I don't know what it is.

Put in perfect spot, so I thought, on side of my front steps -- where foliage gets sun but roots don't get as much.

But then roof guy put up rain deflector above my steps (don't have gutters). This was to prevent a 'waterfall' of rain hitting the steps.

Works great, but NOW, the rain runs off right down onto the root area of my Clem. When it rained yesterday, I noticed water pooling up around it plus it's gonna erode the soil.

This isnt' good, is it?

I put in a call to the roof guy to come move the deflector but wanted to get input from y'all about 'wet feet' in case we go thru several rains that happens. Anything special I should be doing to keep it happy until then?

Thanks,

Bonnie

{{gwi:201633}}

{{gwi:201633}}

Comments (5)

• tracyvine
    12 years ago

Clematis love a good drink of water on a regular basis however your biggest issue will be water erosion from the guard directing watershed toward the roots of your clematis.

You may wish to add some rocks here and there to help divert the heavy flow of water from nearby plants. This will allow your water to remain in the garden without washing away your soil from the roots.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great idea with the rocks and already have a bag!! I'll throw some more dirt in then 'em down, making sure I don't put them smack up agains the vines growing out of ground.

So aside from that, there's no issue with the plant staying really wet for several days, like when we have rain a few days in a row?

I'll have to watch, but now that I think of it, I think where it was before got somewhat of the same roof runoff. Just wasn't as 'directed' at one spot. But just saying it might have been in a pretty wet area before I dug it up.

Thanks !!

• tracyvine
    12 years ago

Great that you already have the rocks on hand! There's no issue with the clems having water in the soil for days on end. They are thirsty plants and will appreciate the deep watering, remember to water their roots very well in the summer heat. I do a heavy soaking on my full sun clems each morning when the temps are up in the 80's several days in a row.

If you think your soil is too heavy and not draining properly after a few days of dry weather, amend the soil with some sand around the base of your plants. You won't have to dig up the plants. Just till it into the area around the roots with a pitch fork or garden claw.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

It all depends on your soil drainage. They don't want to sit in waterlogged soil, very few plants do other than bog plants but if the soil drains well there isn't a problem.

• brit5467
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Then I'll have to keep an eye on that area since never planted anything there before of any importance. It's at end of side bed that butts up to my steps. Only thing there is some Oxalis in very corner & then parsley (on other side of Clem) that survived the winter.

But it HAS always been more damp than rest of bed. Little less sun due to steps.

Don't think it's heavy soil, tho. Has always dug up easily, aside from roots from Bradford Pear a few feet away (UGH!). But roots didn't seem to have made their way up that far, since it was fairly easy to dig the hole for my Clem. So I think it should be okay.

Altho.....I did just look at both your zones and my soil may be completely different. I'm really near beach, yet don't have sandy soil. After I dig down deep enough for a gallon pot, I hit clay. Think it's one of those situations where after house was built, they put down a foot of topsoil for lawn.

So I typically dig about 2 or so inches down into clay, then put back some topsoil on bottom before planting & most times mix in a little Miracle Grow dirt as to provide an easier time for new roots.

But main thing is -- good to know it doesn't mind water. That was really my main concern. Y'all have really been a great help. Thanks !! Not to say I don't want MORE help.....LOL.

And this may be a dumb question...but what is definition of "soil that drains well"...?? Come summer, we have up in the 90's and my water bill is crazy. Everything gets parched. Yet, there are times we have rain for days and everything is soggy. I honestly don't know what "well-draining" soil IS???
    Don't think it's heavy soil, tho. Soil in that bed digs up easily, aside from all the frigging roots from Bradford Pear a few feet away (UGH!). But roots didn't seem to have made their way up that far, since it was fairly easy to dig the hole for my Clem. So I think it should be okay.

Altho.....I did just look at both your zones and my soil may be completely different. I'm really near beach, yet don't have sandy soil. After you dig down deep enough for a gallon pot, I hit clay. Think it's one of those situations where before house was built, they put down a foot of topsoil. So I typically dig about 2 or so inches into the clay, then replace a little of the dug out topsoil & most times mix it with a little Miracle Grow dirt as to provide an easier time for new roots.

But main thing is -- good to know it doesn't mind water. That was really my main concern. Y'all have really been a great help. Thanks !! Not to say I don't want MORE help.....LOL.

And this may be a dumb question...but what is the definition of "soil that drains well"...?? Come summer, we have up in the 90's and my water bill is crazy. Yet, there are times we have rain for days and everything is soggy.

Bonnie

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA