Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a clematis?

Posted by nirenjoshi (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 9:43

2 years ago I bought a clematis from ebay - it was advertised as a purple clematis. It grew into a large vine last year, but did not bear a single flower. The places the vine touched the ground, it rooted and now the original plant and the places it rooted have sprouted with vigorous new growth. I am yet to see any buds. I am wondering if what I have is really a clematis. Can someone look at these pictures and tell me if it is a clematis and if so which one is it? And is it normal that it did not produce any flowers last 2 years and will it bear any flowers this year? I did not prune it last year, but this year I pruned it down to 2-3 feet.
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a clematis?

This is what the ebay ad looked like-

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis

o

I'm not sure - the leaves don't look like any of my plants, but I don't grow every single type of clem. I'm suspicious.

o

The leaves on your plant are different then the leaves in the ebay picture.

o

Yes, the plant in your photos is not the same as the plants shown on ebay.

Your photos almost look like the new shoots of a trumpet vine, Campsis radicans.

o

Thanks everyone.
Yes, gardengal48, it does look just like the pictures of trumpet vine leaves. And the seller does sell trumpet vine as well..Sigh.. He must have shipped me the wrong bare roots back in Sep 2010.

o

Oh yes, that sure looks like Campsis radicans to me. It has been many years since I sold them but I seem to remember them being slow to get started blooming and that they are wild growers who root everywhere and sucker too. Personally, living in Phoenix AZ at the time, I loved the wild tropical looking growth but they are not popular in many areas because of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here