Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trellis netting OK for Nelly Moser?

Posted by Etrsi_645 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 10:01

I bought two of these from last year's stock at a local nursery. They are looking pretty weakly at the moment; I just fertilized them with a seedling strength liquid fertilizer. I will amend our clay-ish soil with some compost in the next week or so and plant them.

Will trellis netting be strong enough to hold them up? I will be training these two and several Chilean Glory vines close to our wooden deck. The netting proves to be much less expensive than the several wooden or plastic trellises which I would need.

Also should I plant then as a slightly raised mound because my soil will probably not be the best draining at this time.??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trellis netting OK for Nelly Moser?

I have used trellis netting for clematis and found that it will support the clematis if the netting is supported well so it doesn't sag. One concern is that removing the old vines will sometimes cause the netting to tear . I replaced the netting with wire or wire trellis which while more expensive is long lasting.

Keep in mind it can take several years for a clematis to mature to full size. Pinching new growth will encourage branching and more stems from the ground. Search for pinching or pruning on this site for more info. Also be sure to plant them deep. There are many posts about planting that discuss this.

To search the forum go to the bottom of the discussion page and fill in the search box.

o
RE: Trellis netting OK for Nelly Moser?

ok, thanks, I will look at a netting wire perhaps...eventually I would like to use all trellis, but I need at least 20 lineal feet I think for clematis and Chilean Glory vines. I am trying to save money until I see that all this vineing is something I can handle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here