Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Train Clematis Climber

Posted by MFIX BUF, NY z5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 10:11

I've never grown any climbers, and I would like to train a clematis variety for an area on one side of our deck, next to our patio. My question is, which variety would do well in a part sun-full sun area, and what is the best method for getting plants to climb? The trellis I would be using would not be a very large one, but there is the possibility that if the plant climbs vigorously, it may be able to wrap around the deck post, railing and possibly the aluminum balusters (assuming that it could attach without human help). Any recommendations or tips would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Train Clematis Climber

Clematis climb by wrapping the leaf stems (petioles) around a support, preferably 1/2" or thinner. So to get it to wrap around your post you would need to give it something to cling to, such as wire fencing fastened loosely to the fence posts. You could also attach trellis netting in a matched color to your balusters. Bird netting is almost invisible against a dark surface but is difficult to remove a vine from if you need to prune. In my experience, clematis may want a bit of encouragement to go the way I want to get started on the trellis, but needs no guidance once it attaches to the trellis.

Clematis like sun, and IME will bloom best with at least 6 hours, though a few will bloom with as little as 4 hours.

What would be your preference as far as height, color, vigor, and bloom time?

o

• Posted by MFIX none (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 13:48

I would like to get it to climb up around 6 feet or slightly higher, a purplish or blue would be really nice, or a deeper pink. Also looking for perennial without too much pruning or controlling, and I also would prefer to stay away from anything that would try to creep on the ground. Bloom time would be best in midsummer, but a variety that blooms for an extended period would also be nice.

o

I am going to give you the website of a supplier I have ordered from because they have a good selection of varieties from a particular clematis breeder, the Kivistik family who worked in Estonia in the 70's - 90's. The Kivistik Clematis tend to fit your requirements and are not fussy to grow. I haven't seen them in my local nurseries, but you may have better luck in your area. Another good mail order company that I think carries some of them is Brushwood Nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Farm Kivistik clematis are grouped half way down the page

o

• Posted by MFIX none (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 11:05

Thanks, I'll look into it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here