Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I Move a Couple of Clematis Now?

Posted by lindama MA z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 10:19

I have 3 Clematis' up against a fence in my yard where they are now standing in water most of the time. I'm suprised that they're even growing but they are as of right now.

Due to the horrific Ice Storm we had in Western MA this past December, two very large trees had to be taken out on that side of my house and now the french drain that comes out of my basement is pointing right are two of them. I would like to transplant them to someplace they'll be safer but not sure if I should do that now. It's sort of a catch 22, or damned if I do and damned if I don't.

I love these Clems, they bloomed so nicely last year and it was only their second year. They are Bonanza, Galore and Abundance. Abundance is the one that's in the most trouble, it's right in the line of fire, so to speak!

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd hate to wait until the fall, when they might not make it through the summer.

Many thanks!
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I Move a Couple of Clematis Now?

I would move them ASAP. They will much faster die of standing water than be killed by a storm. Even if the vines will be killed, new shoots will appear from the crown in no time. All of your Clematis are group III, so they will bloom on new wood anyway.
Make sure that the crowns are at least 2-4" below the ground surface.

o

Thanks Alina, for some reason I didn't think it was good to transplant until the fall but I don't want to wait and loose them, so I will move them first chance I get!

~Linda

o

They will be just fine. Make sure that the planting holes are well drained and will not collect water so the plant get waterlogged. I plant a lot of my Clematis now. Transplanting should be even easier. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here