Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant suggestions for base of clematis please

Posted by njmomma z6 NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 10:46

Please suggest some plants I should put at the base of the clems to keep their roots cooler.

Annuals? Perennials?

Low growing?

Thanks!
Natanya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant suggestions for base of clematis please

The necessity to keep the roots of Clematis cool is an old myth. The rootball area has to be moist, not cool. Mulch it or use shallow rooted annuals.

o

MULCH!!!

Clems planted in close competition with other plants, especially tiny newly purchased Clems don't do well.

o

I have an average in-town lot with 31 clematis. I have a HUGE flower garden. The only thing I can say about planting below Clems, is to avoid deep rooted plants, they suck up too much of the water and entangle roots if you later want to transplant either. I use groundcover sedums, ALOT at the base of clems and roses. I also use heuchera to fill in under the leggy ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here