Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Josephine STILL a one stem wonder?

kentstar
14 years ago

I have hard pruned her the last 2 years, and still she gives me one stem! What else can I do to encourage more basal growth? I have thought of whacking her off almost (but no quite) to the ground after her first bloomtime to stimulate more basal growth next year. I'm not sure if this would help or not. My Crystal Fountain got really accidentally chopped off her first year, and has sprouted multiple canes! And she was whacked off to nothing more then a bare 6 inch stick in the mud literally!

Josephine is now supposed to be in her leap year.

Comments (15)

• julieiwuc
    14 years ago

I wonder if you dug her up and tilted her root ball slightly sideways, the way Silver Star Vinery suggests, if you will get more stems. The 'tip' on their website says: Try Laying your plant in hole at a 45 degree and you will get more shoots!

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I wonder that too. I didn't do it with Crystal Fountain though and that's growing like gangbusters. No clue... I guess it's worth a shot. But, I might wait until after she blooms one time first. Won't that set back the clock though? I mean then she'll be back in her "sleep" year again?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Josephine has also behaved this way for me. I have whacked her over and over and she was planted deep and on an angle. She is still scraggly and pathetic and going on five years old. I am very unhappy with her garden performance. She was a full one gallon pot when I bought her too, not some two inch baby.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

She's lucky she's still in my garden! I was going to shovel prune her last season to make more room for some other clems that I planted. I thought what the heck I'll let her go where she will. She's at this point an afterthought so to speak. So she better straighten up soon or else! lol
    Maybe she's better as a container plant? :)
    I have one more thing to try too. I'm going to be trying alfalfa tea on my garden when the weather warms a bit more. Maybe that'll help her out.

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

I posted a couple of pictures of Josephine. She is doing pretty well in my garden. Maybe the climate makes a difference to her?
    kay

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have given her alfalfa meal but not alfalfa tea. She is in a spot for me that doesn't have the best soil but the alpina 'Helsingborg' next to her isn't scraggly.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    14 years ago

This is so strange. My Josephine has acted as if she were on steroids from the first year. I never even bought her - she was supposed to be HF Young, which I can't seem to grow. She just shot up more vigorously than any clematis I've ever grown, and I couldn't get rid of a plant with that much will to live. I don't even like her all that much - to me she's blowsy, but boy does she grow!

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have worse clems! My Franziska Marie hasn't bloomed yet and I've had her now 3 years! At least Josephine put out a couple last year. Of course, that also might be because I pruned her quite a bit the first couple years to help with her roots, but she never even gave me a second bloom either! I am leaving her alone this year to see if she'll bloom at all if I stop pruning her. It's worth a shot I guess.

• brandymulvaine
    14 years ago

Tell her that you hate her, that you can't wait for her to die so you can put a REAL clematis in her spot. Then she'll grow just to spite you...
    -B

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lololol! That'll probably work! Hmmm if it's not raining tomorrow I'll go tell her off!

• wren_garden
    13 years ago

I have Ms. Jo too.After pruning her low, when growth started I pinched out the second set of leaves just as you many times pinch back plants to get them to bush out and she has slowly.A new stem came up from the ground. The following season I did the same to the 2 stems for more increase and so on. It worked so well I do it to most of my Clematis. Good luck she is worth it.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

You can see how hard I've pruned Josephine (on the right) in this picture:

{{gwi:581451}}

This isn't this year and I see I've got two stems and she has bloomed but not as lush as I'd like.

• unprofessional
    13 years ago

I prune literally right to the ground, and haven't had anything not give me multiple basal shoots, including lots of the type-2s people have troubles with.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did that accidentally to Crystal Fountain in her first year. I chopped her when I was pulling out weeds to a 6 inch stump. NO Leaves, No nothing was left but that stump. I just kept watering the stump lol. She hasn't given me any problem since and is my best bloomer. So, I think after all my clems bloom for the first time this year, I will NON-accidentally chop them down far like that too lol!

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Hard Pruning is your friend!!..your clematis will appreciate it so much the first few years of their life...well done..Jeanne

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus