Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
advice wanted on best place to plant clematis

Posted by lesliek Brooklyn NY, zone 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 12:04

Hi everyone. Newbie here: I moved over the winter from Midtown Manhattan to a Brooklyn apartment with a back yard and some paved patio space out front (woo hoo!). I'm trying to figure where I can plant a clematis and have it thrive.

The front area is east-facing and gets good strong sunlight in the morning now ... but there are some street trees which will partly block the sun when they leaf out. There's a nice space between our two front windows (we're the ground level aparment) -- one option would be to plant a clematis in a large container with a trellis behind, growing up against the wall of our building. The front area is actually several steps below street level, which might help for keeping the roots cooler, right? We will, however, almost certainly have an air conditioner in one of the windows, which means hot air spewing out not super far from where I'm thinking of planting.

The other option is a south-facing bed in the backyard. Because this is Brooklyn and there are buildings around, it doesn't get full sun in the early morning or late afternoon, but it does get full sun for several hours in the middle of the day. I would, I guess, put a trellis up against the (rotting) fence that surrounds the back yard.

Any advice on which of these locations would be my best bet for clematis? Or might they both work? Or neither? Would jackmanii be a good choice, or is there something else you might recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Leslie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: advice wanted on best place to plant clematis

I think you could plant Clems in both locations.

For the one in the container with a trellis, choose a smaller variety.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here