Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ill Snow Queen?

Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 12:14

If feeding Clematis in buds is not recommended ~ what about treating mottling & yellowing leaves ~ what will treatment do to the buds? Help!!!

TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ill Snow Queen?

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 20:27

Before treating, you want to figure out why the leaves are mottling & yellowing, otherwise, you won't know what the proper treatment would be.

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 23:35

Chlorosis is the diagnosis given by nursery ~ went ahead & gave Liquid Chelated Iron solution treatment once ~ the bottle also gave instructions for foliage sprayng w/ solution (for faster absorption) but feared spraying the buds might hurt the blooms ~ will it, I wonder?

Now a 2nd plant is showing the same signs of problem & they are not even anywhere close to each other! I couldn't imagine why it's happening to 2 of my best Clems (Snow Queen & Ramona)!

Any thoughts will be appreciated!!! TIA

o

I'd think that figuring out why your soil seems to be be contributing to chlorotic plants, and then properly amending your soil might be a good place to start.

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 9:17

Good AM!!! Thank you Carrieb for you thoughts ~ I'm suspecting the mixed wood chip mulch ...

A couple of years ago I help a young fellow & bought his truck load of wood chip mulch ~ it was until later that I wondered if the wood chips may have contributed to some chemicals sipping thru to the soil as there were some painted wood pieces I found as I tilled around last year. I have never used anything but cedar mulch in the past. I've since cleared some beds of the mulch when I first started treating 3 Clems affected.

Josephine reacted worse & gave her up for gone ~ this early Spring she sprouted back up in young forms ~ have been pinching her & tho still small she has formed small buds ~ I intend to pinch more & keeping fingers xx'd!

Amending soil around them is a great idea! Thanks again!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here