Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Is anyone growing 'Omoshiro' ?

I bought this Clematis last year, it was quite a small so I have been nursing it along, so far so good. Does anyone grow this guy ? what do you think of it ?

A......

Comments (22)

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I don't know anything about that particular Clem but I will share that when I nursed them along and was afraid to prune, my Clems did nowhere near as well as if hard pruned the first two years. Maybe your nursing doesn't include not pruning but mine did.

I had a dozen or so "rescued" half price and free one stemmers that I babied for years and was afraid to prune and when I finally got sick of their scraggly pathetic selves and whacked them all off, they responded by sending up many new stems and growing like they were supposed to all along.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I agree with the hard pruning, pruned it back last year, the top growth died over the winter but is shooting from the ground now, it will get another hard pruning this year as well. I should of put it in a pot for a year but was under the weather and was afraid of losing it so in the ground it went. Here's a link to see Omoshiro. buyorsell did you find my email?

A......

Here is a link that might be useful: Omoshiro

• bleudolphin
    17 years ago

Wow that is beautful. I think I am going to need to find me one of those ones this year.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

That Clem is fabulous! I have John Warren and Charissima which are similar but I'm sure I could shove that one in somewhere.

No, I did not find your email. I checked spam folder but it wasn't there. My email address is my username at Comcast.net.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    17 years ago

Aftermidnight, I'm sure this one will do nicely for you there in costal BC. Although, not recommened for my cold climate, I'm keeping it container grown and within my solarium. The plant is now going into it's third year and is finally becoming nicely established, I had started with a rather small plant. Last summer it had given me several beautiful blooms and now again has large buds developing. I'm sure you'll enjoy this clematis!

Terry

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Terry, thanks for the reply, I was wondering if anyone was growing this one, sounds like it's going to be darn pretty nice. Right now I'm trying to beef up the root system, so will prune accordingly, I'm not expecting too much from it this year, next year I'll be looking forward to some flowers. :o)

A......

• dixiefern_lycos_com
    16 years ago

I traded for this and when it bloomed it was apparent that I was the clear winner in that swap. I don't think I have ever been held speechless by a flower before, but this one is so elegant and beautifully fragrant that I was overcome.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Evelyn, are you sure you have Omoshiro? The reason I ask is that I have never heard anybody ever say that it has a fragrance. In fact, I don't know of any type II that does have any fragrance at all right off the top of my head.

• chills71
    16 years ago

I was looking at pics of clematis flowers and found one similar to Omoshiro, but unfortunately similarily difficult to locate. Anyone seen 'Fond Memories'available anywhere?

~Chills

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

"Fond Memories" is a beauty..interesting that it has "Florida Sieboldiana" in it's parentage..since it is a UK hybridizers clematis..I seriously doubt we'll see it available in the USA for a few years...and if so probably through Roseville...Jeanne
    ps..I planted "Omoshiro" just this Spring

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

You are probably right Jeanne. COTW shows that it was only named in 2003 and there is no indication it has been introduced into the trade on the listing.

• yugoslava
    16 years ago

There are scented clematis. For those in the Toronto area there is a very well known clematis grower. Peter Keeping has a good selection and is most knowledgeable.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Yugoslava, I am well aware that there are scented clematis. My comment referred to Omoshiro and whether it had a scent since I have seen no reference to it having one.

• cattjovi
    16 years ago

I received mine last fall and it wintered over on my deck. It's been planted about a month now next to a climbing rose. It's making progress. It's still small but has already grown to almost double it's original size. Still small but I'm babying it.
    Arlene

• carolfm
    16 years ago

I wish I were growing Omoshiro but I can't seem to ever get my hands on one! It's always sold out by the time I order. The photo's of it are gorgeous.

Carol

• ingwe4
    16 years ago

Yes, I adore 'Omoshiro', have two. It is not so very free-flowering here in our cold part (Sweden) of the world... Here's an Omoshiro-collage:

{{gwi:581713}}

{{gwi:581714}}

• Joan Dupuis
    16 years ago

I too have this one, but it is still a baby yet. It's wintered in my cold zone 2 winters and should pull through this year, with all the snow cover we've had.. but can't see it yet. I had to order it for the following year when I bought it, and it was my most expensive clematis yet. Hope it grows up to be as beautiful as I imagine in my mind.

• wanda
    16 years ago

I just got one a few weeks ago. It arrived from Brushwood with a couple of buds on it and looking quite stout and healthy. One of the buds just opened yesterday and it's stunning.

Ingwe, mine seems to have more blue-gray stamens than the one in your pics. The petals are also whiter. Maybe the climate?

wanda

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    16 years ago

I have this one potted, I just brought it out of cold storage and it's bursting into growth. Has been slow to establish, though worth the wait for those blooms!

Terry

• carolfm
    16 years ago

Ingmarie, your photo's are wonderful. Now I am even sadder that I missed out on this one! I'll try again this fall.

Carol

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Thanks for that info Ferne!