Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

River Crossroads: Care of tiny Clematis

buyorsell888
14 years ago

I thought I'd start a new thread with your questions so others might see it easier.

Could you tell newbie me what to amend the soil with & how much fertilizer (if any) I need for my new baby clems that came mail order in 2"-4" pots? I've been told that I should plant them ASAP since it's too hot in my z8b Central Louisiana to wait for recommended fall planting. My Home Depot garden dept head recommends MG Organic Choice Potting Soil to mix in. Good?

Fertilizer? Do I need a certain percentage of rec for adult rose for a baby clem? Or use Osmocote (19-6-12) since I won't get blooms until next yr? I saw your answers to Ginny's recent question, "How much fertilizer?" but mine are so much smaller and I also need to find out about amending the soil. Thx for any help!

I would NOT plant these tiny plants outside now. You should pot them into gallon sized pots using potting soil (not garden dirt) and let them grow a bit before planting out.

No, I would not mix Miracle Gro potting soil into your garden. I would use compost or planting mix instead, it is cheaper. Potting soil is formulated for pots, not amending soil. My soil is heavy clay but yours may not need any amending at all depending on how it drains.

When you pot them into the gallons tease the roots out if they are root bound, plant them deeper than they are now (cover up the crown by two inches) and it would not hurt to pinch back the growing tips of the vines.

If you are concerned about heat, place them in morning sun only.

When you do plant them out, dig the holes deeper and wider and plant the vines deeper again and on an angle to encourage more stems to come up from the crown. IF your soil is heavy clay add organic matter like compost or planting mix or composted manure and really chop up the clay soil. You don't want to creat "pots" in the clay you want the roots to move freely out into the soil.

I would not fertilize a two inch potted Clematis myself, I'd be afraid to fry the tiny little thing. Though a pinch of Osmocote probably won't hurt.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor