Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehearty

Did I kill my 5 year old Jackmanii??

mehearty
13 years ago

It's the biggest and oldest clem in my flower beds. We've had an exceptionally early spring, so about a month ago, I quickly went through the beds wacking and pruning. The clems were getting cut to a foot or 2 about ground, when I realized that many had starting growing already. Shock. I looked throught my discard pile, and sure enough there was green in with the discarded clem vines. =-O

Everything has sprung back to life except Jackmanii. There's absolutely no signs of life there. =( What the heck did I do????

Comments (15)

• santacltr2
    13 years ago

I cut mine back in early spring and again after they have finished bloom. They come up from the ground just fine. At least for me in zone 5 Il.

• mehearty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have no clue why it isn't awake yet, though. Do you?

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

It might be awake but slugs or cutworms may have chewed it. I found that on several of mine here when I looked closely.

Cutting back like you did is NOT a problem what so ever. Especially for a Type III hard prune every year like Jackmanii.

I cut into green vines every year when I prune. I never get them all done when they are fully dormant.

• mehearty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

UPDATE:

She finally woke up! There's a tiny little nub of green at the bottom of the main stem. Phewwwwwww! What a tempermental little bugger! I'm just glad she's alive and done with her sulking.

I don't know what her problem was, but clearly she didn't like being pruned when I pruned her. Weird.

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Hearty..You are in a colder zone and clematis wake up later than ours...I knew he would come back as long as you didn't damage the crown...I am happy for you!!..Jeanne

• mehearty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jeanne. Even though all the others have woken up, grown, and are covered with flower buds already (weird, early spring), Jack just sat there playing dead. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see a little greeen numb. =) I'm going to go out and look at it again. lol

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

LOL..I know that exact feeling..I've had clematis wilt and pruned back to the soil line and phew...6 LONG weeks later new vines FINALLY start to come up.It's such a feeling of relief and joy!!...I am thrilled for you...Jeanne...ps..I've done that "looking again" thing to make sure and feel the joy

• mehearty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just a little (and I mean little!) update for anyone who is interested, and for those who may end up dealing with this some day.

Green nub is still just sitting there. It hasn't grown since I noticed it 10 days ago. I wanted to wait until it grew a little before giving it fertilizer, but eventually I gave it a little tomato fert a few days ago. Nub's just sitting there surrounded by brown sticks.

I think I pruned this baby at just the wrong time. There's probably a very short window of wrong time, and I nailed it. Unfortunately, the plants that are there to cool it's roots are so big now, that they are shading nub, and it gets very little sun.

I'll continue to watch for progress.

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Pruning a clematis never hurts...it's "resting" right now and will shoot up when you least expect it...Jeanne

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

I have never had a plant in spring stop and sulk because of a pruning. They want to grow in spring. A couple weeks ago I hacked off several group 2 clematis so I could move them. One even had buds on it. I left several of the buds on one of the plants, which continue to swell and should be opening soon. All three are growing vines despite 2 prunings and a move.

I think its little nap has more to do with it being a Jackmanii and less the timing of the prune.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I agree that the timing of the pruning is not the problem.

It is probably working on putting up a bunch more vines from the ground which takes longer.

• virakech
    13 years ago

same here ... pruning is NOT a problem. No.

I've had a clematis or two that just would not take off in spring one year. Maybe something happened to it last year... I dunno - but it eventually came along and started growing. By now I would think it would be growing though. Iwould at least move anything around the base out of the way to let air and sunlight to it... good luck

• eden_in_me
    13 years ago

I think it might be because of the weird weather we had this year. The warmest late March/early April in a long time, and then back to cooler temps. The little green nubs you cut off had probably a jump-start, but then, because the soil was still somewhat cold, it stopped putting out stem nubs to take a rest.

I have some that hadn't shown up when others were off to a good start. First I gently moved some of the soil at the surface to see if I could little nubs that were still underground. If nothing showed then, I inverted a black nursery pot over the place where I thought the stems should be, to warm up the soil, and waited. Didn't check every day for the first week and some started showing up. I did check more often after that, but the air & soil was still sort of cold.

Might also be influenced by where in the garden it is located. My laziest ones are in a Northeast corner near the road.

I usually prune my 3s when I see Forsythias blooming, but this year I could see new growth on some vines about 3 weeks earlier.

And this is the first year I've had Narcissus bloom in March.

Marie a little South of Augusta

• eastautumn
    13 years ago

I prune all mine almost to the ground (just leaving one set of leaves). I also saw growth on many of mine at the time when I pruned them, so I don't think that's your issue. This year they're all growing like gangbusters, but in past years I've had several (Ramona and VV to name a couple) do exactly what you are describing. They both eventually grew, but seemed to take forever. I remember watching those little green nubs for weeks and finally they came to life. Do you have more shade in the area of your sleepy clematis this year than in past years? I've noticed the ones most shaded in my garden seem to do this more than the others.

• mehearty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marie, I do think the odd spring effected this guy. It's still got just one tiny green nub sitting there doing nothing. Multi blue is in bloom, and HF Young is about to open. Julia C is covered in buds.

I know pruning helps a clem, but this dude went into serious sulk mode. The plant to the right of it is a shrub, so it's now blocking the warmest sunlight the clem gets. The base only gets about an hour or two of sunlight in the am, and then it's shaded. That's always encouraged good old Jack to climb, baby, climb. Of course it's usually a good 5-6 feet high by the time this shrub leafs out, but not this year.

Now I am sulking. Someone call me a waaaaaaaaaambulence!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio