Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnwsgal

Patio Clematis

mnwsgal
13 years ago

I have read many of the old threads on patio clematis. Would like to know, in your experience, if you could only buy one, which would you choose? I am looking for one for a friend with a long bloom time. Color is unimportant.

Comments (10)

• brit5467
    13 years ago

I feel bad that no one has answered your post. That's frustrating. I don't know the answer but at least wanted to say HI !! Bonnie

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

While the 'original' patio collection from Raymond Evison included only three vines ('Picardy', 'Versailles' and 'Cezanne'), that term has been expanded to include a wider number of compact, free-blooming plants from the same breeder. I grew 'Picardy for a few years but did not find it especially long blooming or not more so than many other LFH's. But at the risk of sounding like a broken record for my high praise of this plant, I DO recommend 'Harlow Carr' for this purpose. It is also a compact vine (not really a viner - more of a sprawler but can be easily trained on a support) and is easily far and away the longest blooming clematis I have ever grown, typically in bloom from May into October. I grew it for two seasons in a container on my patio where it grew and flowered beautifully, then transfered it into the ground. When I moved, I dug it up, repotted it and hauled it along to two different locations before replanting at a new residence -- it never missed a beat. Great plant!!

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to you both. I have been reading about long blooming shorter growing plants for containers but thought I might get a response about Cezanne or one of the newer RE varieties.

ggal, I looked for Harlow Carr at Donahue's spring open house but they did not have it. I bought 'Petit Faucon' 3ft. blooms June-September for my friend and for myself. Also got myself 'Bijou', l ft. blooms June-early August.

Will keep an eye out for Harlow Carr.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I have Cezanne and Bijou and they are no big deal as far as long bloom time.

I have Petit Faucon and it grows to six feet for me and does bloom longer than both, Juuli blooms longer than PF.

I have Harlow Carr but still in a pot not the ground so I can't evaluate.

• tracyvine
    13 years ago

mnwsgal,

I highly recommend the clematis rooguchi for long bloom periods by the patio. I have mine growing through an old lilac tree that has died and I have pruned back to just show the twisted trunk and older branches as a support. It is in full sun for the first half of the day and enjoys afternoon shade.

The Rooguchi has beautiful small bell shaped flowers that I simply adore. It brings hummers in close to where we sit and enjoy coffee in the morning. A wonderful way to start our day seeing the hummers flit from one bell to the next.

The rooguchi is not a climbing clematis like most and will grow beautifully through shrubbery, roses or like me, an old dying lilac tree that I was sad to see go. It allows me to keep an old friend and give it new life and color. :)

Tracy

Here is a link that might be useful: COTW: Clematis Rooguchi Profile

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you buyorsell888 and Tracy for your comments. The 'Roguchi' that I got last year is still in it's pot as I had not decided where to plant it by fall. I have a shrub near my deck that might be a good place for it.

I think this first year I will grow "Petit Faucon' in a container with a crosshatch support and see how it does. I use a crosshatch support on my 'Blue Bell' integrifolia in the garden and it works well there. May decide to move PF to a garden spot another year. (Or may move it to the trellis on other thread.)

I have both 'Juuli' and 'Harlow Carr' on my look-for-list.
    May have to order them online but will wait until I have checked all my local sources this spring.

• alina_1
    13 years ago

All Evison's Patio Clematis were duds for me... They just keep dying. I lost 2 Bourbons, Angelique, Cezanne, Picardy.
    That is just too much. I am done with them.
    The best Clematis for containers is Piilu IMO. I was blown away with its performance. Here is a last summer picture:

{{gwi:269723}}

It was planted from a trade year pot less than a year before the picture was taken.
    This is its third year and it is super vigorous and full of buds.
    Overwintered in the container twice without any protection (zone 6/7, MD).

• bob414
    13 years ago

I think the patio clematis are not as cold hardy as expected. They do well here either in containers or in the ground. And I see in this thread that gardengal, whose zone is quite similar to mine, has the same success with them.

• mnwsgal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info Alina and Bob.

That Piilu certainly looks happy in its container. The one I have in the ground that is going into its second year. Hope it blooms as well.

I understand about hardiness and will keep my pots in my unheated attached garage for the winter. Florida Seiboldii has overwintered well in my garage for two years.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Piilu is a great bloomer for me too. It isn't in a container but it stays compact. It is covered with buds right now.