Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nora_54

Type 2 through Harry Lauder Walking Stick?

nora_54
11 years ago

I've done some research, and it seems like this should work, but I would appreciate your opinions before I plant. My HL is in the garden adjacent to the patio, at the back of the house. It faces south, so gets plenty of sun, but by mid-afternoon (3:00 to 4:00) that area is in open shade from large oak trees to the west. Which side of the shrub do you think it makes the most sense to plant the clem on? I am in Zone 5, northern Indiana.

Comments (7)

• bob414
    11 years ago

If I want a clematis to grow through a plant I place is on the side of the plant away from the sun. The clematis will tend to grow toward the sun.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I might rethink planting a type 2 clem on a Harry Lauder. One of the pleasures of the HL is its winter silhouette with interesting branch shapes. Type 2 clems aren't usually cut to the ground in winter (you can do it, but will lose all the first bloom, and some won't bloom as well in the second bloom in my cold zone 5.) If you don't cut it to the ground you will have all the scrappy dead vines left in your winter HL which will interfere with its bare-branched silhouette. At least consider a type 3 or choose your type 2 carefully so that you get one of them that seems to bloom longer so you won't lose too many blooms. My Daniel Deronda, a type 2, will bloom almost all growing season, even after it has winter killed to the ground, and I imagine that there may be some more. I mostly put type 1s and 2s where I don't have to see the dead vines in winter.

The other thing to consider is the ultimate size of the clematis and the HL. A large, fast-growing clematis can overwhelm a young or small shrub.

I tried the strategy of planting clems on the opposite side of the shrub from where I want to eventually view them so that they would grow through, and I find that I prefer the ones where I planted them on the side from which I wanted to view it. The grow up the shrub just fine in my garden. It may be a difference in sun angle and intensity between Bob's CA location and my NH location.

• nora_54
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your intelligent answers. I was concerned about the effect of the dead vines, also. I fell in love with the colors of Crystal Fountain and was hoping to use it for that reason and because of it's smaller size. Any ideas for a good Type 3 that's not too large? DH is not a fan of pink, and the color doesn't show well against the brick of our home. Thanks again.

• chills71
    11 years ago

I have a small clematis growing through my HL Walking stick. I don't recall which one it is, though. I can say that I barely noticed the vines crawling through it this past winter.

Now If I could only get the Red Dragon variety of contorted Hazel, I'd be really happy...

~Chills

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

Check out
    Justa (Silver Star Vinery has this)
    Prince Charles
    Semu
    Silmakavi
    Bonanza
    Emilia Plater (might be too tall)

Emilia Plater is the only one of these that I grow.

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    11 years ago

In my much warmer zone, Emilia Plater grows very large.

I don't have a lot of experience with them, but the Kivistik clematis are all supposed to stay on the shorter side, and according to Hummingbird Farms, they are all type 3 pruning group. I noticed that some of them are listed as pruning group 2 at Clematis on the Web, but I am guessing that in Hummingbird's zone (I think 5), they are treated and perform well when hard pruned. I planted Piilu last year, and it has been a very slow starter for me in spite of arriving with a very large root system. This year I have added half a dozen more from the Kivistik collection from both Brushwood and Hummingbird Farms, and they all have started growing vigorously.

Here is a link to Hummingbird Farms - just scroll down the page until you get to the Kivistik clematis.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Kivistik Collection at Hummingbird Farms

• plantloverkat north Houston - 9a
    11 years ago

Here is Brushwood's selection of Kivistik clematis - I just typed "kivistik" in the search box. They have already sold out of some of theirs, but they still have a good selection available.

Joy Creek and Silver Star Vinery also have a few from this collection, but I don't believe that their selection is as large as Brushwood's or Hummingbird's.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kivistik search at Brushwood